Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Another year older...a sign of the times

Yes, I have explaining to do. Where have I been? What has been so important that I would forsake my buddies that read my blog? What else do I have to do with my spare time?' Hello, it is TAKS season....as well as baseball, Bible Bowl, as well as tax season. Let me just say that I am running around so that I have to write bathroom breaks into my daily schedule. Not because I am so important that everyone wants me to do things for them, but because I am just goofy enough to over schedule my life. I have so much to tell you...I have them all listed. However, I want to let you know that I am a year older as of Sunday. And as of Monday I have had to take an afternoon power nap just to make it to bedtime which has actually been about 45 min. earlier than 2 weeks ago. What is up with that? A sign of the time or is it that when the candle is burning at both ends, and you only have a birthday candle lit, it just gets tough when the flames get close to the middle. So, how did we celebrate? As you have read in previous years, I have gone to Dallas with the church group to the LTC meeting. This time, Easter comes MUCH later, and we did something different. My kids and I (Tony stayed to help my dad out) drove to Weatherford. Okay, stop laughing........I know you are wondering why not San Antonio, Dallas, or Somewhere full of adventure. We went there because that is where we stayed the night so that my son could attend NASCAR with my dear precious Suzie and her husband Bobby. Of course, I swap one son for one daughter (Nikki doesn't really care for NASCAR). I tell you, it was the best weekend so far this year.....okay, the best since we placed champions in the barn! It was the best because: 1. My kids and I have not been out of town ALONE in over two years. My daughter had not done her chores on Friday so she lost her phone privileges. Therefore, there were no cell phones, no videos, no ipods, no nothing but old fashioned books, magazines, discussions, and laughter!! Best of All......no arguing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2. We were with Suzie, Bobby and Nikki. I can not tell you how much we love being with them. Sometimes, I just need Suzie time. Funny thing is that Suzie was at the track with my son and I had Nikki! We just loved our Sunday drive home with them. We stopped and played all along the way. 3. No adventure? You haven't lived until you have had Nikki and Makaley AND stores! We shopped for about two hours. Then we went swimming. We dined at Logan's. We shopped some more. We ate yogurt. We shopped some more. Shopped until Nikki dropped! I think she just made up the fact that she needed the restroom so that she could sit and rest her weary head for a moment. 4. Sunday, we ate breakfast together while my two swam. Then we went to Whole Foods for shopping. Back to Weatherford to the market, then home. Miracles of miracles, my children voluntarily put up all electronic devices so we could talk and enjoy our time coming home. I am going to post my daughter's quote (said more than once) just so that when she is about to take my head off, I can pull this up and let her read it. She said several times "Mom, that was the best weekend ever." and then she would hug me! About 30 minutes later, she would say it again. Another hug. So, Thanks you Suzie and Bobby for my wonderful birthday! Our family needed that! Thank you to the rest of my family who allowed me to be selfish and leave town on my birthday...which was on a Sunday, the perfect time for family celebration time. The day ended with a wonderful dinner for two (thanks Tony) at Outback followed by a thundershower! And now....it is 9:35. I took and hour nap.......I hear my bed calling. Hope it's not a sign of the times.

No comments: