Today I found peace and quiet. I refreshed myself in a moment of God's peace and His quietness under an oak tree while standing with family and friends.
My children and I attended the funeral of a friend whose family has been a part of our lives since I was about 10. She was only 6 years older than me. She was a "horse lover" from "the get go". She comes from what we call "good jeans" and she looked cute in her boots and jeans! She was a strong, giving, loving, Christian woman.
The honor given to her at the cemetery spoke to my heart. I have decided it must be a "cowboy way" kind of thing for true cowboys and cowgirls to be buried under big beautiful oak trees. The family cemetery is out on a country road on small slope of ground where your eyes can follow the double lane road that roller coasters on down to green grass, fields, tall trees, ranches and grazing cattle. And so.....as we stand there gathered around the "green funeral tent" under shady oak trees, our eyes are focused on a beautiful wagon driven by a team of huge black Perchin horses moving slowly up the double lane road. All is quiet except the jingling of the harnesses and the clomping of hooves. In the wagon rests the oak casket covered with dozens of yellow roses. Behind the wagon walk the pallbearers who are soon joined by the ministers and then by the family. All is quiet....... except for the sounds of "country". Peace! Perfect Precious Peace. How fitting. In the quiet and peacefulness, the casket it set for the final prayer and thoughts. BUT...just as the minister is about to begin, God gives us one of his well timed "stress relievers". My kids spot a brown horse across the fence at the back of the cemetery. And at just the right moment, it lets out one long loud whinny......then vanishes. In the peace, in the quiet, in the confidence of her new life we all bow in prayer.
The peace found in that small cemetery was welcomed. It was a day to be reminded of God's love and His grandeur.
It reminded me of another oak tree in a quiet cemetery almost 8 years ago. It is a place where I can find peace and quiet. Something that my day in and day out schedule is missing. I needed peace today....under an oak tree. Thanks "D".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sometimes, in His own unique and sovereign way, He just calls us back to who we are.
I love you sis!
Post a Comment