And so tonight before heading to dinner with my whole family (except Uncle T because he had to go out of town) the kids and I met with the "bigs" to take pictures of Bevo. Tonight is his last night to sleep in the barn. The last night to wake up and grunt with his friend Wilbur. The last night to enjoy the "country life". Tomorrow he heads out to the San Antonio Livestock show. He will travel with one of the breeders, and we will arrive on Sat. afternoon. And I must say....I have some mixed emotions. I have loved having these ding dang pigs. They are now family, but I am tired of cleaning up after them,changing their bedding, feeding them and getting nothing in return AND being ignored when I want them to do something. Oh, my I promise I am really talking about Bevo and Wilbur, not my two children. My children do not have aliases. Anyway, give me about 6 months, and it is like birthing a child. You forget the "labor" and would do it again.
We are already in the "next year" mode. We are planning for this and we are planning for that. But for now, we have to brace ourselves for the fact that as of Monday, unless by some wild chance we get to sale the next Sat., Bevo will load on a truck and head to another home(maybe even yours). I have been packing for two days. Hair ribbons, polished boots, jeans, kleenex, shirts, bling jewelry, kleenex, snacks, drinks, kleenex, joke books, swimsuits, and kleenex. Will this be the way it is the day my babies decide to move out? Will I need the kleenex? Will my stomach be churning, or will I be ready for the vacation only to begin planning for them to come back in a few months?
So, besides the packing for the trip, I am bracing and packing for the return home without our BEVO! A few days later, we will load Wilbur up and he will have a new home too. I always try to remember....he is just a pig. But there once was a spider who figured out like we have that he is "some pig" and quite "radiant". And she loved him. Have I mentioned that we actually had a spider sack in Wilbur's pen? I got rid of it because I don't need a spider writing phrases like "eat more beef" on the barn walls.
During this weekend, remember our family as my kids deal with this. I keep telling them: Don't look into their eyes for the next few days. AND, no more kissing Wilbur!
And in a few months there will be 4 little pigs in our barn. All fresh and new. All poopy and hungry. Spending my money! Eating the food. Demanding attention, and NOT cleaning up after themselves. Hmmmm I think I will practice raising my children before I get this next round of pigs.
San Antonio........ready or not, here we come!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great writing! And so true! We have been through it before, too. In fact, we went through it about14 or 15 years through all three kids. It gets easier, except for those special ones that come along from time to time. Good luck at the big show. Have fun and enjoy the experience.
Okay, one of my sons has left home, two different times. Once he moved to the dorm at ACU, the second he moved to his dad's home in Lubbock. The ACU move did not bother me, because that is 'progress'. The other did. Of course he is home now, but I know when he leaves again, I will be okay.
God put me on this earth to raise my sons to be godly men. My job is about over, since my youngest just turned 18. If they don't know it by now, it is too late. I know Luke will be leaving in the next six months, also. I am not a crying person, so I will probably just got out and run five miles...then I will be okay!!
As you will, Trina dear! God is with you, even when your darlings leave home! ILY!!
It's hard...there's no doubt about it, but we all understand that it is just a part of the food chain! Okay, so maybe I shouldn't say that, but it will all be okay and we will all be okay!
I always remember going strait to the trailer after I let go of my pig...I didn't want anyone to see me! But 30 minutes later I was thinking about something new and everything was just fine!
My two cents - I think your children will be better than you!!! Yes, it will be hard on them, but they are both smart kiddos, they know what is coming and where bacon comes from. Yes, it will get to M more than K, but they will be OK.
Mom on the other hand is thinking about pigs and children - You too will survive.
Me - Yes I am having a hard time too. I cried reading your post and I have not even been around those silly pigs very often!!!
Love you!
I will be thinking of you all when that time comes. Yes, it is hard on the kids and parents too. The experience of it all is so great though and the hurt will go away in time. Your story made me cry just thinking about it. Yes, they are just silly ole pigs but you do come to love them. Best wishes at the show and have a safe trip back to Abilene.
Post a Comment