Friday, January 8, 2010

It's not just football....

I have had several thoughts on the Texas & Alabama game last night. Things like..no matter what, Texas won. Whether it be by the quarterback from Southlake or the quarterback from Tuscola...of course, the one from Tuscola is much more powerful a player(in my eyes) and stats. And thoughts like... is my explanation to my children about extortion not judgemental. Of course there were other thoughts....like when my daughter said....trust Mom, just trust and they were behind by three.
But the main thought has been the one that tugged at my mind all day. The thought of how our lives are parallel to that game last night. You see, like the Longhorns, we attend all of our trainings, listen to the coaches, read the play books, and work hard to be good. And through these things, we prepare to play our hearts out on the field of life. We find confidence that we are on solid ground. We catch passes, we throw the ball, we sometimes just punt and sometimes we score. There are family and friends traveling along with us that cheer and there are those that boo. We continue to listen, read, and work hard. Then suddenly we are hit, tackled or blindsided by something whether it be bigger than us or smaller than us. We are no longer able to sing our "swan song" of life. We are sitting there like a duck..quacking and calling out.
Last night Colt taught us all a lesson. Not a lesson about football. But a much better lesson on showing God to others. When life fumbles and we can't recover, we don't stand there and talk about how great we are, how hard we played and that how we should have been given this or that. We stand and say "I don't ask God why. I just know that He is in charge, and I stand on His rock.
It's all in the word! The 3 letter word. It's on HOW we handle.......it's WHO we let handle it.
My heart hurt for Colt and the whole team. I so wanted him to have that final glory of championship. He had planned for this for years. Probably since he could hold a ball. However, once again, I got my wish, but only the way Colt could really do it. He did get the championship......when he gave the Glory to God in the middle of a broken heart.
It's not just football..........it's a lesson we need to live. I don't do it as often as I should.
Way to go Texas......Way to go Colt.....Thank you Lord for the safety of all.
It's my life and I'm stickin to it.....but I will try to better it!

1 comment:

Glenna said...

Well said. Wish I could remember that more often.