When my friend Suzie said "it has been 6 months" I was like....okay...I said all I want to say. Oops...didn't realize that 6 months was May. What does that say about my life?.....I don't pay attention to numbers. I am an English teacher at heart! I look at words, thoughts, literary expressions, and look for the deepest meanings of movies, books, and the such! Numbers? Just look at my bank account...or don't. Haven't balanced my book in 10 years OR more. Won't tell you which. If I want to know my balance I call the bank(don't do online), deduct anything written in the last 24 hours, and I have it!
Therefore, I didn't realize I failed to put summer vacation on this blog. Of course you have to understand me a little too. If I tell one person everything that goes on, that is often good enough. My running on about this and that is not always interesting.........except to those who love me the most. Ha Ha.
So...summer vacation catch up.....Makaley finished her "class time" for driver's education. That went well! However we then have to undertake 20 hours of driving with an adult other than a driving instructor. Now, that is excitement since that person is mainly me!!! Let's review.....older mom, teenage daughter (who is sure she knows more than her mom because mom is "too old to remember what it is like to be lively.") Okay, I will stop there. Anyway, we decided to make the trip to South Dakota....and bigger decision....we decided to ask Tony to join us! About three days after that decision, Tim and Traci decided to join us, but unlike the normal trips to the ranch, Kelly's parents would not be joining us. His dad just didn't feel up to the trek so, we would be staying with our family....the Doud's. In the basement, with no walls, with a toilet in the middle of the floor with a curtain around it. Oh who cared? We were going to have fun.
The first day of driving was very uneventful. We stopped in Garden City Kansas to go through the zoo which is a tradition. Not sure Tony was thrilled with it like we are, but there were baby monkeys, otters, birds, kangaroos etc. The next day(Sunday), we headed out......this day proved to be a little more interesting!!! You see, after Garden City is a quaint little town by the name of Scott City. Gas is always cheaper there, after 3 cups of coffee, it is a great potty stop and the place we regroup after rushing to get packed. As I am pulling out of the gas station Makaley receives a text about our youth minister leaving. I am trying to assure my two that life will be fine. I pull in the left lane (4 lanes) so that the "hometown" people can have their road and parking spots outside the churches ets. Soon flashing lights and sirens surround me. Being a good Texan, I put on my blinker, check for cars and pull over to let them pass. Only to discover that he pulled in behind me. Of course Tony being all male says:"are you speeding?" No, I am doing 35.
Let me get my grump on here! The YOUNG officer NEVER looked me in the eye. When he saw my license and insurance he said "thank you; you were doing 35 in a 25 mile zone." WHAT?????? seriously?
I have driven through this town at least 20 times! NEVER saw that NUMBER!!! Never been pulled over AND I was following one of the "townspeople" who was about to turn left. BUT...he didn't care! 25 mile an hour???? Really........ My daughter eve said, "Mom, in Texas that is school zone only." Good girl. when he returned to my car, he read me my instructions, requested my signature and promptly turned back to his car. Now, I will admit that I was speeding......in Kansas, BUT we we pulled off all was quiet until my kids died laughing. when I asked what was so funny, they explained that he never looked me in the eye and they knew that makes me blow a fuse!!!!! Tony said he was quiet because he didn't want to go to jail for telling the kid to "look at her when you talk to her." So.....the new number spent in Scott City after 65.00 in gas??? Add 144.00.....and even after filing a complaint with the chief of police, it was still 144.00. After accusing them of a speed trap....still 144.00. The secretary of the court and the judge are one in the same I think.
Soon, I decided that it was time for Makaley to get some Hwy. time. (Highway on our trip is 2 lane with 18 wheelers, windmill parts, and tractors. So...why not. Needless to say......I was placed int he back seat and Tony took over the front. In less than an hour, she killed her first bird, missed the only turn between Scott City and McCook Nebraska, and passed her first truck. Hello, I was sucking the upholstery up from the seat. Now I know why Kauy always has his eyes on a game boy and earphones in his ears. She drove for 3 hours, and made two BIG left turns. Once we hit South Dakota, she took over the wheel again and drove us to the ranch! Yep, I missed having her grandparents there to see her do that....and I thought how proud Kelly would have been! To anyone other than us, that is no big deal, but to her.......It was!
The rest of the stay was wonderful. Tony learned to drive a tractor, and got up daily to help Rick in the fields. We picked fresh mulberries, rhubarb, cucumbers: drank fresh milk and made homemade pizza and bread! Makaley had a lesson in cooking! We also went to the Black Hills for the a couple of days. Tim and Traci went home(not avoiding Scott City but avoiding the officer) much earlier than we did. And yes...when we drove through Scott city on the way home.....I drove 15 just to be safe!
After arriving home, a new set of numbers showed up.....8. That is the number of pigs sitting in our barn right now in the middle of this deep artic cold snap. 8 is the number of pigs my children must go hand water every couple hours. 8 is the number of pigs causing the numbers in my checking account to decline quickly! Now, you know me.......would I change that? Probably not. We love each pig....even the ones that are CRAZY! We have decided that one thinks he is a miniature bull and out to win the PBR. Let me introduce you to their names and a little about them. I was going to include photos, BUT my computer is not allowing me to do somethings so...that will have to wait. Hopefully NOT 6 months!
We have Domino - the one who thinks he is a bucking bull. He is CRAZY!! No seriously! Ask Jordan to see the photo of his leg...or Kauy to see the photo of his bloody nose, or Makaley as he got between her legs and started the "twist and roll" routine. We started to name him dumbo since his ears are as big as his head!
Next to him is Pistol - named him that before we got to know him. He is a pistol for sure!
In the next pen is JJ and Maxwell. JJ had an ear tag of 48. 48 is Jimmy Johnson's car. Jimmy Johnson won the race the next day then won the whole NASCAR thing. Guess who this pig belongs to. lol Kauy hopes that JJ is a winner in the arena. Maxwell is the only solid white pig in the barn. Named because of the commercial for that insurance company! Little did we know that Maxwell would squeal like that pig does on the commercial.
We have Riata and Lucky Shot. Riata is our only girl and she is getting pretty big! Hopefully she will go to a good breeder and be a mom some day. Lucky shot........well, we can only say that we hope he lives up to his name.
Finally we have Gunslinger and Berky Berk. Gunslinger is tough baby! I know...that is a great combination.
Berky Berk....is a baby. He is still tiny and really doesn't have an official name. He is sooo cute.
We are sitting in an Artic blast and hoping that the Major stock shows will NEVER be like this. Icy and cold. I can do cold.....too old to learn ice skating.
On a final note.......my computer is acting STUPID! sorry for those who don't like that word. I can't get my cursor to go in and correct mistakes so.......you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Excuse the strange wording in places....the misspelled words, and things that make your eyebrows move up and down. yep.......I teach English Grammar.....this is one of those nightmares. I am closing out because I just can't stand to read this mess any longer! lol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment