So today after another very busy day, I am resting on the couch and Kauy crawls up there (sits on top of me) and says: "Mom, do you ever get board of education?" I laughed. I laughed some more then said...you bet and sometimes I get board with the board of education.
We have started something new at our house this week. I have decided that I will pay bucks NOT to have to pick up at night....NOT to have to repeat myself...NOT to have to remind them to brush and flush (you read correctly)...and NOT to have to stay in Kauy's room until he is completely asleep. So here is the plan:
1. I wrote up a contract for each. I love the first sentence. It reads: "I understand that by living in this household, I HAVE to share in the responsibilities." It goes on to say that they understand the idea of an allowance. We sat down, read through it, discussed it and signed on the solid line.
2. I listed the chores for each of them. My favorite...."Complete a request from an adult without going to a 3rd request. In other words, do it the first time."
3. I then listed the consequences. One of which is loss of any toys left in the living room/ dining room/ bathroom for two weeks.
4. I listed the rewards. I worked from one week, to two weeks, one month, and finally 2 months. Culminating with a trip out of town. One week = trip to Prime time and I pay for one activity for the week.
5. Now in order to work, I created some pieces of paper. 4 say $.50 and about 6 say $1.oo.
I taped these to the top of their door frame. IF they break a rule, I don't say a word but just walk in and take one off the frame. Starting with a $.50. What is left at the end of the week is theirs for allowance. Tonight I had to take one from each of them because "Tool Time" was fun and they weren't in a get a shower mode. Oops...too bad for you! I caught Makaley checking the door frame in Kauy's room and then going to check hers. All I said was..."I asked 3 times for you to shower." BUT....she didn't stomp or huff off because she didn't want to loose the next $.50. They can also use the allowance to purchase toys back earlier than two weeks if they choose to.
Now my predictions? Well, this will be work for me to remember stick to the rules no matter how it hurts them or me. I will have to pay up. It will do great for about 2 weeks, then I probably won't fork out much allowance. I even thought about making some of those money strips in red. If they loose all of their allowance money before Sunday night, then I put up red ones which mean you owe me! Ha Ha Ha Of course we are reading this great book about a 12 year old who earned $58,000 in just a couple of months. They are both into saving and seeing who can get there first.
So, check with me in a month. See how we did. I would love for them to prove me wrong!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OK, I am just in awe that you have posts on consecutive days!!
Hope this works out for you! I am sure you will keep us posted!
Brilliant!! Before the 'excitement' starts to wane... get out the Sunday sales papers and start 'dreaming' about what they could be saving up for. Let their materialism be motivation! (and don't buy every little thing for them in the meantime -- my pat answer to 'can I have?' is 'did you bring your money?' That also has taught them GRATITUDE when I buy them something 'just 'cause'!!
I love it! This is a great way to teach them responsibility. Thier roommates and future spouses are endebted to you!
Post a Comment