Monday, August 25, 2008

The Best is all you can be!

It was my first day dealing with the pressure of my new job. Hello? What was I thinking? Without going into detail I will just say that there were more kids than floor space in a couple of math classes; some kids had an extra helping of language arts or math; some were on the wrong campus (and some of those didn't understand Eng. or Spanish but were precious and patient); some don't like the classes they are in; and some just didn't want to be there..end of discussion. Of course I took it upon myself to decide that it was all my fault. I decided that I had dyslexia and transposed class numbers, or I was talking and not paying attention, or I decided that kid needed more Grammar! Then after pouring my thoughts out to others I decided that my co-counselor could be right.........there was a little problem with some class numbers that were not our problem.
I found myself trying to be perfect for everyone. I didn't want to make a mistake. I needed to be just perfect and a total success. I didn't want anyone to second guess the choice made to move me into the office. I soon found myself asking.......do I try that hard for my family? Some would say not on a daily basis. More importantly do I try that hard for God? The creator! The one who gave me the fingers that put those numbers into the computer! The one who gave me the ability to work with students! The one who blessed me with 2 very precious children! Do I give Him my "very best try"? On a daily basis?
Today there were a number of students who were enrolled on our campus that spoke either not a stitch of English, or a very limited amount. A majority of those don't speak the only other language I can speak....Spanish. There they were. There they stood in their "new" clothes carrying a binder or backpack, ready to meet a world they don't understand. Yet, they tried. Today they were coming as the "best" their parents had to send us. They would give their best in actions today also. They were patient with me, the one who could only smile and try to reassure them that we would take care of them. There are plenty of people in our world who are in the same situation. Not just those who don't understand the language I speak, but those who do and I don't speak to them. They are the "lost" of this world. Not just the young ones who are lost and can not find their way around the campus. I need to give my best. Even when the numbers don't match, the phone is ringing, the coaches need another schedule change, someone doesn't want to play clarinet, the parent who rubs everyone the wrong way is standing in my door, I need to give my best. I am a representative of a place like no other. The king there doesn't ask for perfection, just my best. The best is all I can be. So, tomorrow I will try again.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen.

Lisa said...

I say "Amen" too, Trina. I, too, obsessed about my new job, trying to make everything perfect before the first day of school. Perfectionism is so painful. Thanks for the reminder.
Aaahhh...life is sweet, isn't it? I'm so glad to have a Father who doesn't expect perfection, but faithfulness.