Sunday, May 17, 2009

Not the cool "ride"

My friend Sarah wrote an article about the joys of school traffic. The where you can park, where you can't park and why it is dangerous to the health and social stamina of our children if we don't follow the school rules for "dropping off and picking up". I love that family. Sometimes I wonder if she is watching and writing about my family.
A few weeks ago (during TAKS testing of course), we were on one of our "up and running ahead of the clock" days. You know those....far and few in between, and mean the world to you when they happen! All bodies safely loaded in the car with our happy attitudes and smiles. we begin backing out. We live on a very busy corner during the "drop off" and "pick up" hours of school, and I was trying to back out of the driveway without saying things I would wash out mouths for. I am turning my head this way and that way when Kauy says...."Wow mom, did you see that motocycle. Some kid got a real cool ride to school!" It was soon followed by, "Man, did you see that eighteen wheeler go by? Wasn't that cool!" I agreed to all statements and finally found a moment to shoot out the driveway into the caravan. We turn the corner in time to see the student getting off the motorcycle, and the dad unloading his two children out of the 18-wheeler. After a few: Wow's and Oh's from my son, he sweetly says, "hey, mom, just pull way up to that other corner and let us out of the car!"
I am sure he was just trying to save me some time, but it made me laugh, and I SO wanted to tell him that if he thought those forms of school transportation were cool, I would be glad to hitch up the horse and wagon.

No comments: