Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where have I been?

You have probably been wondering if I was rendered unconscious by the 2x4 and the answer if NO!!! I have been in another frame of mind. Doors have closed and doors have opened. God is good. I just wish he would turn off the heaters and get some cooler air here.
So...where have I been? Those of you who are friends with my sister know that we have made the "trek" to South Dakota this past week. We left on July 2nd, and returned on the 11th. Usually I gripe about something so here is my gripe. I HATE grasshoppers, but stood firm in my belief that they are just trying to get away from me and are confused as to how to get around this body of mine so they just land on me. Walking through the grass was like walking through a field of feathers. Grasshoppers hopping every where. What did I love?
1. I loved the weather. Never over 85 and at least 2 days of wearing sweats. Rain..Rain on the roof, rain on the porch...rain and cool weather. Grasshoppers stay down when the temp goes down.
2. Time with my friend Marlis. She asked us to help entertain at the Rest Home in Phillip. We had a great time........if you can call it that. Kelly's grandmother lives there so we got to see her. When we sang Amazing Grace, I noticed that she sang along on the first verse. As we were finishing the last verse, I had Marlis return to the first verse so Grandma Helen could sing along with us. Yep, I had a tear or two. Then I went to pay taxes on the land, and my precious daughter decided to stay and visit with family. I was proud of her! My kids are soooo good.
3. Visiting the church in Pierre (pronounced like the pier you walk on, not a French poodle). The people there are wonderful! My heart was saddened to find one of my "older friends" in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Of course...the Mexican food after church was unbelievable. We also have the privilege of leaving Pierre at 4 and getting home at 4!
4. The air..........it is such a different smell up there. The air is sweet this year.
5. The walks in the evening. We found a bird nest in the middle of the 1/2 mile driveway. She had them camofloged very well. We collected rocks and of course...lots of grasshoppers.
6. I loved watching my son learn to drive his granddad's/dad's John Deer tractor. I have the stages on video. K. in front with Papaw....Papaw standing on back while K drives. K driving and Papaw sitting on the bumper of the car saying..."you can do this just remember what I told you". We also enjoyed K's imitation of calling a turtle. You will have to see that one sometime.
7. Miss thing was just fun!!! She is quite the young lady. She and Grammie worked on building her little church out of pine cones and Popsicle sticks.
8. Memories. Memories and more Memories. We traveled to Wall Drug for our usual. Donuts and coffee. We traveled to Mt. Rushmore. Stopped along the way to drive through Bear Country USA. It was fun. BUT while these memories were being made, others were running their course through my mind. I remember the first time I saw the Black Hills. I remember how excited Kelly was and the picnic lunch we took. I remembered being scared he would leave me there IF he changed his mind and decided he didn't really like me. Those are the things that will never change, and I hope and pray that God will let me NEVER forget them!
Now, enjoy this post because the next one will be in a few weeks. When I return from Hawaii!!!

No comments: