Monday, October 15, 2007

Today is Today!

Yes, I live......Yes, I breathe.....and Yes, I am working my rear off, but have no way to prove it!!! Don't you hate it when you are working hard, but your rear gets larger?

So, I have my reasons for not writing in awhile. Besides, working, working and working, I have been kept busy by God. I love it when God knows you need to be busy....busy with His work, and busy about work.

I hate the first half of October and today is the mid-way point so tomorrow should be different(more about that............. tomorrow). Let's see.........why do I hate the first of October. It is still warm, and fall should have already blessed us with cool (I mean cool not lukewarm) weather. I also hate the beginning of October because the grass begins to die, acorns begin to fall (lots of acorns in my yard), and in previous years I have lost those that I love during the first weeks of this month.

Seven years ago today, the morning was like this one. Overcast, but not real cool. Seven years ago today our drought broke with a record 2 inches in just a couple of hours. Funny that those 2 inches started just about the time I was loading my pregnant body into a Limo to head to the church for a funeral. As a Language Arts teacher, I now find some real symbolism in that day. As Lois Lowry says in her book Number the Stars, "The rain made it seem as if the whole world was crying." And at the same time, I couldn't help but smile because I could see and hear "Cowboy Kelly" up there telling the Lord that it was "plumb dry" down there in Abilene, and he would like to take over the watering for awhile. You know, seven years have gone by. I have two precious children, a great support group at church, a family that God has kept together and kept us close, in-laws that love, help and support, and a wonderful man in my life, BUT.....today I miss Kelly. He was my FIRST real love. The one I first loved with my whole being...body, soul and heart. He was my "cowboy" who rescued me. He made me his queen. He is the father of my children, and the one who taught me to ride a horse, drive a huge truck, shoot a gun (told me to aim to the left and I would hit the target over on the right), and how to stop my fear of tornadoes (shoot them with a gun or just chase them!) He watched "Days of Our Lives", "Teletubbies", "Lonesome Dove" and attended "low-fat menu", teacher filled gatherings with me. If he said it, he meant it, and if he shook your hand, it was a honest and done deal. All 6ft 3in. of him would do potty patrol for 2 year olds at church, and he loved to take my grandmother for a spin in the John Deere Gator. Just so you know.................I still have those days; I still have those reminders (cowboy hats, mustaches and spurs); and in the middle of a blessed life, I still miss him. Miss him enough to share him with you today. Tomorrow will be different............Just wait and see. But today...........well, it is today.
www.hopeforlife.org

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely, "working my rear bigger" would be a more appropriate phrase -- no one's rear falls off from working!

Can you believe it's been 7 years? I'm so sorry I didn't know Kelly. When we moved here, his loss was very fresh and raw -- for the whole church. But I see his influence lots of places.

Anne said...

After my 90+ hour workweek last week, on top of being mommy, I can totally understand the working your rear off thing...only my rear hasn't gone anywhere, just my brain!

I'm thinking of you today...loving you always!

Jessica said...

7 yrs... seems like yesterday. Robert and I were just talking about Kelly and what a great guy he was. Give the kiddos a squeeze for us... and yourself too!

We love you!

Lolosblog said...

Because of Kelly, I always hold tight to my keys when I get in an elevator!

Love you!

Traci said...

Just catching up on your blogs -- wow! It has been some test of time but you've been stronger than I ever could have imagined. You're some lady and I love you.

Your Sis.