Yesterday I did exactly the one thing I "hate" as a teacher. I took my kids out of school to go to the dentist. I always want to strangle parents who take their kids out of my class to go to the Dr., dentist, or orthodontist. And so.........what did I do? Joined the throng of parents who do that. (It seems that this year I have been the parent that all teachers hate........blame it on unstable hormones!)
It is probably the scariest time for a child, however.........as Kauy's mom, I was probably more frightened. Let's face the fact here. Kauy is his daddy's child. He will argue with a dead turtle at the loudest possible decibel.....think he is loosing the discussion, and go at it some more. So, when Dr. David asked if I had any questions, I had one: "Will you still be my friend and dentist when this is over?" And he laughed.
I remember as a child that I hated the dentist. We visited one dentist in particular whose door had no knob on the "waiting room" side. Parents were not allowed back, and he was not a "child friendly" person to begin with. As an adult, I don't like going to the dentist either. I don't like having any part of my body feeling like it is hanging down lower than my chin, feeling like there is a constant stream of drool running down and dripping on the boobs and thinking that my speech is slurred. If that is going to happen I would rather have it happen because I had a really good drink!
David puts the mask on, Kauy's eyes are the size of a dixie cup and I begin to slip out the door. I don't do needles well, nor do I do my son's reaction to the medical profession (remember he crawled under the chair after the first eye drop at the eye doctor's office). It is then I realize that my son has met his match. A nice match at that. For every "No I am not" David would have a "oh come on you.... and I AM the dentist". He had a come back for Kauy every time. Of course I found out that he put the little "orange breather" on him to make him just goofy to do whatever David said. I may try to buy one of those for home! Short story shorter..........he had his tooth filled and was out of the chair before Makaley had her teeth cleaned. So.......we went home, had lunch together, and we went back to school at 11:30.
Of course Kauy got his first mark of the week. I said he could blame it on the "orange breather" if he needed to.
Maybe David needs to "borrow" Kauy once in awhile when the last of his two very quiet, polite, calm sons have left the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dr. David is soooooo good!! Just be glad he didn't have to brace himself with his leg as he tried to pull a tooth. He had to do that to Katie. I am not sure who was hurting more, Dr. David or Katie! That was one experience I do not want to go through again!!
After being in the dental field for 14 years, let me just applaud you over and over for taking your kids to the dentist! I think Justin hates the fact that I look at his teeth all the time and within ten seconds of talkin to him I can tell whether he brushed his teeth or not. But one day he will be thankful, and so will your kids, that we took the time to care for their smile!
Post a Comment