So, I am cleaning out a "bag". You know, the kind every teacher has 3 or 4 of. The kind I carry papers in for a few weeks until it becomes full, and I don't want to clean it out right now, so I go get another of my "free bags" and use it. Funny........I never decided to carry the BIG BLUE bag from IKEA. Anyway, I am cleaning out the bag because I will not need to carry grading supplies home with me next year, and low and behold........there is the page of notes from THE sermon "A Leap of Faith". I had been looking for them..........there they were and as I read them a smile crept across my face because you see, the reasons below are the reasons I will not be grading papers next year.
L - the Leave principle. In Heb. 11:8 it talks about Abraham hearing "God call" him. So, I listened and heard that call. For some reason I had to take that leap no matter the specifics. I will have a longer work contract. I will leave my buddies.
E - the Expect principle. In Heb. 11:1 it says, "Faith is being certain of what we do not see." You leap because you expect God to show up. God expects you to let Him shine through you. I expect God to be there and help me understand when someone hurts.
A - the Attempt principle. Quit pointing out what everyone else is doing and get in the game. If you are afraid you might strike out, you'll never have a chance to hit a home run. Attempt it....don't confuse waiting on the Lord for staying safe. I may strike out many times in an inning, or I may make a home run. I just know that I am going to attempt....for the Lord.
P - the Perhaps principle. In I Samuel 14 Jonathan goes to attack the Philistines. Saul stayed safe on the hill, but Jonathan and another go to the camp of those who aren't circumcised. He then says "It won't matter how many or how few of us there are. That won't stop keep the Lord from saving us." (I love that thought!!) He took a leap because he was counting (perhaps) on God. He knew the mission...He didn't know what would happen, but he wanted in the game because he KNEW God. I don't know what is in the next camp. I know that I will face giants, BUT.....God has put me here for a reason at this time.........He will save me!!
These are just my notes. Notes from a wonderful servant whom God chose to speak through. And evidently God needed me to hear that sermon because I was on the front row without children. I am so glad that I was there.
For those of you who have thought I was already on vacation.........nope, I am actually working in the counselor's office...my office (black wall and all !!!) I have the keys to the office. I have entered the inner- sanction of the Principal's office wearing the hat of counselor. I am already doing work, and getting frustrated when there are interruptions because I NEED to get this done...so I can decorate! ha ha I attended the end of the year counselor's meeting for middle schools and was welcomed with open arms. AND I fully understand the frustration of making a schedule work. Shame on me for griping about when I taught what! Shame, Shame, Shame!!
And so.........the end of the sermon that drove me to take this leap of faith is as follows: (a few notes)
* Don't settle for nice...settle for discipleship.
* It's not our job to protect kids from Jesus - but to embrace the adventure and the challenges they face and bring. (hello...Trina!!...get in the game)
* If you fail, at least you were making an attempt for God. He can write the end of the story.
All I needed was for us to stand and sing all verses of "Where He Leads Me I Will Follow" with a few rounds of "We are Marching to Zion" and I was ready to get in the game!
I can't wait to see the final score later down the line. I am in this game and I am loving it so far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I haven't cleaned out my teacher bag yet! I, too, have detailed notes on that sermon. A LEAP of faith in leap year, indeed. Blessings on your black walls -- at least you can watch a movie w/o having to black anything out!
I don't have a teacher bag :(
Teacher, principal, etc. I too have several overflowing bags . . . oh well, someday I may get to them. I'm thrilled that you had a reason to clean yours! Yea Trina Lou!
Post a Comment