Monday, June 23, 2008

Whoops, that's a sermon

Well, plans have not changed so far this week. We are in the deepest moments of VBS/SBA at church. Atomic Anne and I (Toxic Trina) are only allowed to do the songs and very few experiments. Does that say that they trust us as much as they trust our true hair color?

Tonight I got a double helping of sermon (so to speak). Honestly, I am not sure that I ever thought my son to be the preacher, but okay.......maybe I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Let me just give you the latest "Sermon by Kauy". Please keep in mind that we are on the run until about 9PM and he has to be at ACU by 8:15. So, he was giving me the sermon and offered an invitation at the end...I think.

As we closed the evening of SBA fun, Kauy came to the front to "collect his parent" with large tears in his eyes. He asked if he could speak to me. Of course, I took the mic away from my mouth (last night I didn't and said loudly..."hey, that machine farted") anyway, I bent a listening ear. He began to tell me that he had yelled at the "crew leader", and he was sorry. I did not yell at him, nor did I shoot him those "dagger blue eyes". I just marched him back down that aisle, all the while singing the closing songs. He sweetly apologized, then walked back to the front pew to wait for us to leave.
I left him with Anne's husband, Nathaniel. They have a daughter (who might some day be my daughter-in-law..well, maybe not after this conversation) and they have a younger son. Kauy decided to tell Nathaniel all about camp today. It went like this: "Today at camp, this kid just farted. I said......whoop there's a sermon!". I do not know if Nathaniel kept a straight face, but I know that Anne and I didn't when he relayed the story. So, what does that say about camp? What does that say for the sermon's we hear weekly? What does that say about my son being ALL boy?!?
On the way home, Makaley and I had a little "mother-daughter moment". You know, the kind where you slightly raise your voice because you are certain that she didn't hear you because she was not listening to begin with and she was furnishing all the wrong answers or no answers at all. It drives me crazy when she acts like me!!! Wears me out! (I relive a little of the 1970's "Hymonda - Trina Hour" often seen on Five Oaks Rd.) When we got home, I am standing in the kitchen with my disastrous head of green hair, lab coat, scrub pants, and some "let me work the corner" type eye makeup and lip color, and here comes Kauy with his puppy dog eyes. (Excuse me, but I am laughing while I type this. I know that words can NOT do the scene justice). In a quiet and matter of fact way (so Makaley can't hear)says: "Could you and me go into your room and have a little talk?" Had I just not head another version of that phrase at church; I head down the hall with him. We get to my room; he puts his arm through mine and starts with: "Mom, the way you just talked to sissy is not so good. You need to not yell cause she might do something not good. Okay? So, try to talk a little nicer and not so loud to her." Then he patted me on the back and said "Okay? Thanks." Off he went. After my smile and soft giggle were gone, I returned to the living area to see that Makaley still needed to put up the clothes I had asked her to put up this morning AND this afternoon. Very calmly and with NO sugar coated voice say: "Makaley, could you please put these socks (handed them to her), these shorts (handed them to her) and this blanket up for me? Can you do it now or should I remind you again in 5 minutes?" Just a choice for her to make. She got up and put them where they belonged with no huffing. Kauy comes up to me, puts his hand on my arm...patting ever so sweetly says: " Mom, the way you spoke to K.K. was just right. Good job."
You know, just yesterday he told me that the song we are singing Wed. night (Come to Jesus) reminds him of the days that I tell him that we are about to have a "come to Jesus meeting" in the bathroom. I think he reversed the rolls. Was that a "Come to Jesus meeting" complete with an invitation song.... all done without me knowing what was going on? Now....whoop, there's a sermon!
I love my children.......

1 comment:

Lolosblog said...

Don't you just love it when you are talking to your children and you know it is you talking, but the only person you hear is your mother? I just hate those moments! Katie is just learning about those and Frank & I think it is so funny!!

Keep her in line Kauy!!