Tuesday, October 7, 2008

That durn pig!

It is probably with bated breath (whatever that really and truly is) that you have been awaiting the next installment of "My Life". Ha Ha...me too! Who has time for blogging.....obviously someone who has 26 hours in a day, 9 days a week, and is very organized!
It has been a great experience to own a pig. We will now have electricity in the barn. We are having 2 of the stalls cemented with a slope for runoff water. We all three own our own muck boots (Makaley's are leopard). And...we have found out that you can sell a non-show pig for up to $1,300.00. It is amazing how much work gets done in the pig pen at the barn and not at the pig pen in our house. It is amazing how much squealing can go on in the barn. Let me give you an example.
Last Thursday we were all very calmly hanging out in the barn enjoying the flies and fresh aroma of pig poop. It was a "not to hot" afternoon, and the kids had just finished the chores in the barn. (I use that term loosely since the barn is more like a nicely-covered, 4 dirt floor stalls with a runway down the center of the barn.) My precious, very stubborn daughter convinced me to allow her the opportunity to walk Wilbur around and show me how well she can do this activity. We barricaded the gate to the field with another pig panel and our stealthy scary looking bodies! Makaley begin the walking process. About the time she gets down the runway and closer to the gate, the wind blew the wrong direction or Wilbur just saw freedom, but that ding-dang pig flew over the little pig panel right through the bars of the gate to freedom. Now, let me say here that if you lived where people kept your food bucket full, water at your beck and call AND cool red mud to just lay in....wouldn't you stay put? Nope this pig jumped and ran. Well, the daughter begin crying and screaming for someone to do something...the son started squealing while standing with his fingers in his ears...I was TRYING to tell them to stay calm but having to scream over the ruckus, AND the "man"...well, he tackled the pig and that thing started in on the squealing too! Nothing but squealing! Every breath of air was squealing. I still have a headache.
It is also amazing how you begin to look like your animal. Once at the soccer field we saw a lady with a certain type of dog. My son told my daughter "hey they look alike. She must have gotten him from the Barkery!" Yesterday I walked into the barn with two very clean children. Wilbur had been digging for hours in the mud from the rain. My son was concerned that "he didn't get out the gate so do you think he is working on another escape passage?" I left them to chores while I walked off the frustration of not having my computer at school (long story). I returned to find a filthy red pig, and two children who looked about the same. I found that funny but not as funny as when Kauy walked Wilbur on Sat. night and Makaley said to the whole crew: "Look, he has the same swing in his hips as mom does.".........On that thought I may decide to play in the red mud.

3 comments:

Lolosblog said...

Ok, ok, I think I can type now. I am not laughing as hard as I was a minute ago!!!!

Those two kids! They are just too funny!!!.

I guess we will all get introduced to the pigs Friday.

Hhhmmm, wonder what words of wisdom that Mattie May will have to add!

Can't wait to compare the "swings"!

Love ya!!!

Trina said...

Just so you guys know...my mom read this and tried to leave a comment, but she said she couldn't get it to print the laughter she was experiencing. AND to think...she lives in the house in front of the pig "barn", built on the red dirt and she has white carpet!

Biddy said...

aaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaa

oh what i wouldn't give to have a video of The Man tackling Wilbur! hahahahahahaaaaaaa