Thursday, October 30, 2008

Another moment in motherhood

So, she turned eleven, and oh my goodness.
Tuesday night I send my daughter to take her shower and wash her hair. She calls to me in a whimpering voice to come help her take the barrette out of her hair. As I enter the bathroom, there she stands (in her a la natural) with tears streaming down her face. Don't you know what went through my mind! So, I asked why the tears.......her response......"I don't want to be eleven!" Excuse me? "I don't want to be eleven!" Why? "I just don't". Now, that is not a reason if you ask me. Very indecisive, unsure and evasive. So, we dig a little deeper, and the final answer goes like this:

Mom: Did you start your period? (I just blurted, with no sweet feeling in my voice)
Miss thing: "no, but I don't want to either." Hello...no woman in her right mind really wants to start that whole thing. Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't happen until you were ready to be a mom? No off and on switches.......talk to Eve later.
Mom: "So why the tears today?"
Miss thing: "Because life just goes by like that (a sweep of the hand and a snap of the fingers). It is gone before you know it and you missed something."
Mom: "Baby, there is nothing we can do about it. God made it that way. So, enjoy it instead of sitting around worrying, watching TV, or playing computer. Now, get in the shower and get your hair clean so you can have a worry free day tomorrow."
Ms. Thing: "And I have a uni brow, and when I tried to pluck them out they bled, and I didn't like that."
Mom: "Get in the shower and wash the uni brow and I will style it for you!"

Case closed.

Then here comes Mr.K. Not thirty minutes later, announcing that he needs his cartoon house shoes because the next day would be house shoe day. The search for the shoes immediately begins. He comes into my room and asks if I had found them yet. I sent him back to bed with the threat of "you will just have to wear mine." It was a few minutes later that I remembered I cleaned up his closet, and I remember having two sacks. One sack was for the Children's Home in another town, and the other was the sack for me to give to a dear friend for her two. So with fingers crossed I go to the garage to look in the blue sack (for said friend)for shoes. No cartoon house shoes which let me know that I had put them in the wrong bag. The wrong bag is now in a huge padlocked bin at the church. I can't go there and crawl into the bin to get the shoes, nor can I leave a note on the bin saying.."I am a horrible mom who put my son's cartoon house shoes in a sack in here, please return them ASAP (like before he wakes up in the morning.). So, I am now admitting to mother's of the world that I did the thing you think will never happen and does. You give away a toy they have not touched in 2 years, and 3 days later they ask if you have seen that toy. So..............7AM he rises to ask, "Did you find my shoes?" To which I respond, "No, but mine have dogs on them." We stuff them in his backpack and he wears them all day long. "Someone else wore his mom's shoes, but they weren't mom colors." Remember this is the child who said I "smelled saucy".
Case closed!

2 comments:

Biddy said...

awwww KAY KAY! i know the feeling of the unibrow...only it was my mom that pointed it out and made me my first wax appointment. ouch!

Lolosblog said...

Miss Kayley, I love you just as you are. And you looked beautiful last night (makeup and all!).

And Kauy, at least your mom doesn't wear high hseld lippers with fur boas on the toes (Trina, I'm sure you will have to find a picture for him!)