Saturday, September 1, 2007

You Need to Know Suzie Like I know Suzie!

Although I could go on and on about how great it is to have a 3 day weekend after my first week back at the grind..............I am not even going there. I am going to take the writer's privilege and write about someone very special in my life. No, it is not "the man". Yes, he is special, but not 35 plus years of my life special. Today is my best friend's birthday. I have many friends, and I have a group that I call my best friends, but Suzie has been my best friend since about 8th grade. I know, you laugh..............that is a long time, don't you loose touch? Don't you forget things? How do you do that? Well, no, yes, and because we are not just friends, we are family!
Suzie's and her parents moved to Abilene about the time we hit 7th or 8t grade. I had been in this beautiful town all of my life. As a matter of fact, I was beside myself when they built the Mall of Abilene. It was almost like Christmas, or the opening of Khol's. Anyway, Suzie went to Madison, and I went to Wylie ....then it was considered "in the country". However, Suzie and her mom, Becky, came to Southern Hills, and became active in the youth. Our friendship bloomed and went wild. If you were looking for one of us, you would find the other, and I was usually at her house or vise versa. Because of Suzie, I inherited a Grandma Ruby, Aunt Paula, Uncle Jerry, a few cousins, and another Mother. Because of Suzie, I overcame some of my "stupid" fears about heights, death, and guys. When Suzie's dad died, I faced my biggest fear........dealing with death. I found myself at her house most of the time. I did dishes, I watched TV, and I took lots of walks with her and Becky. Becky became the sounding board for me. Not that I didn't love my own mom, but at that time, my mom had her hands full, and Becky had empty time. Our moms loved each other and so..................mom loved Becky for loving me. (oh crud, I am now crying).
Suzie and Becky moved to Odessa. I once rode the Greyhound Bus to Odessa to see her. Her mom remarried a guy I wasn't real sure about but loved because Becky loved him, and Suzie met Bobby, AND I SURE wasn't SURE about him. He had a fro and he was about to rock my world again. Bobby turned out to be the knight in shining armor! What a wonderful husband, father, and friend to me. I think I caught the bouquet at the wedding but it did no good!!! No other Bobby around for me.
They had their first child. Nikki. I remember sitting on the couch at my parents waiting for the call to tell me..........time, weight, boy? girl?......Suzie? When Becky called I was elated, but saddened.........."they are running some tests on our little girl". Nikki was born with Downs Syndrome, and to this day is a blessing to all of us. Of course she tells me she loves "Aunt Traci and Uncle Timmy most" But...........she calls me just when I need it to tell me she loves me! They also have a replica of Bobby.........Scott! Sorry girls........he is taken.
Suzie was there at my wedding. She loved Kelly, and Kelly thought they were just the "plum nicest people". Suzie was here along with the rest of my "extended family" for the baby shower for Makaley. I have a picture of Ruby holding Makaley. Suzie has been there for everything in between.
The day that Kelly died, Suzie made it to Abilene in record time. She stayed with me, made me eat, held on to me and just loved me through it all. She is one of the few people who can tell my mom........Hysti, your refrigerator and freezer stink, and need to be cleaned so give me a trash can, soap and a rag. During this time, I received precious letters from Becky telling me how she did understand what I was going through and how she prayed for "my other daughter and her precious little ones".....oops more tears here. When Kauy was born, Suzie came to the house to help out. She brought Nikki with her once. Bobby........sent love and support but most of all, he sent my best friend to take care of me. Suzie never forgets a birthday....I do!!! Suzie sends little gifts at Christmas........I don't!!!! Suzie calls me even if she is just driving through.....I don't go through Odessa! Matter of fact.......went for the first time in about 20 something years this summer. During all of this I received precious letters from Mama Becky telling me things will be okay. Over the years she prayed I would find a man that God felt needed me and I needed him. More on Mama Becky in another post.
In October....days before I would see the anniversary mark of loosing Kelly, Becky died suddenly. My heart broke! I cried for Suzie, Bobby, Nikki, me and the rest of our families. What would Suzie do without her? What would I do without her? How will Ruby handle this. My sister took off to drive with me to Austin. It rained something horrible the day of the funeral. And here the table turned for me. All of those days Suzie had been there for me............I would now be there for her. I am NOT good with cards, but I am good with the phone calls. I may not be long winded in an email to her because she just needs to know I am there BUT.... Suzie this is for you! Thanks for understanding the blond streaks that go from head to toe. Thanks for ALWAYS being there....good or bad. Thanks for listening, for long talks and walks, sneaking out of windows, papering houses, crying with me, laughing with me, eating tacos at Taco whatever, sharing families, being my sister in so many ways, and for loving the heck out of me. I love you............AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DEAREST FRIEND.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Not any comments except mine . . . I'm forever thankful that there's a Suzie in my sister's life! For the times I have to tough, Suzie can just be friend. I love you too Suzie! . . . and you too Sis.

Anne said...

Happy Birthday Susie!