Wednesday, May 7, 2008

No ooshy gooshy stuff

Okay, that was fun.....and interesting. Last night was the last of my evening classes at McMurry University. Wow, time flew by quickly. And now, I must give them a grade. I hate doing that. Yes, I know...I do that daily with my 6th graders, but I KNOW 6th graders. I can read them fairly well. I know IF they did their work, IF they were REALLY listening, IF they put forth much effort. Adults, the first two are IF's and the last one I can determine.
My mom called to ask how it went last night. Besides my own children going with me (eating a whole chocolate bar each, and finger painting with us), it went well. Until the end. The end of class. The end of the relationships started with some of these students. That's all folks! D.C. al final! And you know what..........when college kids leave the room for the last time, nobody hugs your neck and tells you all this ooshy gooshy stuff. Nobody says "you are my favorite teacher" (this year). Nobody hands you a gift of thanks, and some don't even say thanks. They just hand in the final and walk out the door. That's it. And there the teacher sits. Wondering...Did they learn what I wanted them to grasp. Did they retain any of what I handed to them? Did they leave thinking "That was worth my 3 hours tuition money"? Did they recommend this class to others? OR...Did they just hand in the final and toss 16, 3 hour class sessions into the trash. And so...I sat and wondered. Then realized that I had given them what I possessed this semester. I realized that I saw faces change, lights come on, and leaps of faith happening in that room on a regular basis. I realized that they ARE just like my 6th graders in some ways after all. They like the rest of us need to be reassured, loved and needed. Hopefully amid all the books, handouts, games, and other activities....that was addressed also. And all without the ooshy gooshy stuff.

4 comments:

sftc824 said...

And I KNOW that you were an awesome, amazing teacher, who cared tremendously for her students. Those students will take that knowledge and love and go out into the world, and be grateful that Professor Ostlien made a difference in their academic careers!!

Lolosblog said...

They will remember, you are TOO hard to forget!

Love ya!

Miss Raff said...

Just to let you know...

I think we liked you more than you think we did. So much so, that I'm actually--for the first time in a long time--considering getting my certification in math after all. And I had decided against it about a year ago.

So, thank you. Because it was inspiring. Even if I am terrible at making units. Haha. Seriously, though... thanks. :)

Biddy said...

i agree with Brandi...

it's impossible to forget you. no matter how hard i try ;-)

i kid i kid