Monday, May 19, 2008

The Virus that lives up to its name!

When I was younger there was a commercial for "Roto Rooter" ( I think that is what you called it). They advertised for pipe and drain cleanings. I could even sing the jingle. As I grew older(more mature), I heard some jokes accordingly about visits to the doctor etc. Tony "roto-rooted" his little house a few weeks ago. The smell was disgusting, and he was a real mess (pun intended). This weekend I was privileged to experience the Roto Virus. My son had a visit with the Roto Virus last weekend. And it does live up to its name. So... what did I learn? (IF you have a weak stomach stop here! If you are adventurous, then read on!)
#1. This virus can come upon you as quickly as a tree root can capture the main pipe. One minute you are happy as a lark and 30 minutes later you are shaking with a temp. of 103. The shaking for me was close to that of the jack hammer. Had I known I was sick Fri. afternoon, I might have breathed heavier on a couple of kids!

#2. If you are attacked by this well named virus............use a bathroom where you would like to do some redecorating. The wall paper will peel off easily or the paint will just chip off after a few "runs" through the virus. When you find energy...start the redecorating.

#3. Phenogren is your friend. Saturday my mom hurriedly drove me to the doctor's office so we could sit in the freezer section waiting to be seen. Hmmmm glad I brought sweaters and a blanket. He pronounced me definitely "roto-ing" and said, "Well, the only thing I can do is to give you a shot to stop the nausea." Fine, sign me up. I will try anything...since I had been sleeping on my back since Fri. afternoon because turning stirred up the nausea. Well............ they warned me it would hurt, but the poor nurse forgot to tell me she would be shooting a 4 course dinner with a main course of T-Bone steak through that tiny needle into my big behind. She did promise quick results..............don't remember getting into the house.

#4. Drink water...........water and more water. Anything else is like adding Draino to the situation.

#5. My mom is a saint!!! Not only was I sick, but so was my precious grandmother. So, she and my aunt worked their own little home health care business. Mom stayed at my house for 2 nights. She checked me every two hours, remembered if it was time for Motrin or Tylenol, made me sip water and sprite. Allowed me to just lay there! Allowed me to rest and recuperate. She disinfected, she did my shopping, the bathing, the taking to church, the hauling to and fro. She did it all. She is wonderful! I don't need a husband.........I have Mom, and Kauy (who would come in when "Hysti" was gone and tell me to sip) and Makaley (who would come in with a mask on to check my temp.) And I have Dad who took the kids when I needed them out of the house!

#6. You won't hear the words "roto-rooter" without that sick feeling coming over you! All the pipes and drains are sure to be cleared. Clogs will go to running the other direction !!

It's my life.........and that is all that was stuck to me this weekend!

1 comment:

Lolosblog said...

And who is at your parents house reminding them to sip now?!? You have always been such a giving child. Glad you are over it, Glad I haven't gotten it!