I don't believe that I have told you about our little excitement when we were in Dallas for LTC the weekend of Easter. It must be told so that you can follow the next part to the story.
LTC is a weekend where kids from all over the state meet in a variety of places and compete for medals in Leadership. The main event is the Bible Bowl where the kids have studied a book of the Bible (I Samuel this year) and they go for 4 rounds of tough questions with 3 other team mates against a huge number of students. There were 75 questions this year, and they were tough. There is also competition drama, chorus, puppets, song leading, scripture reading, art and sign language. Lots to do...lots of kids...lots or tempers...lots of walking and not much to eat around there. So, we decided to let the "computer" (Audry because she is audible) guide us to the nearest Jack In the Box. I now laugh at that name, because I have thought how appropriate that was for the incident that occurred while we were there. Upon arriving, we noticed a "young lady" in short shorts....let me stop and say that I wish my mom could draw this picture for you. You see, her shorts were so short, that there was no need for the button or the zipper. They were so short and she was so "stocky" that the button and bottom of the zipper were about to touch, AND my mom once again was able to give her "crack shorts" sermon ....along with "you are just a walking advertisement" speech (the speech about the "valley of the bosom"). Well, we decided against going in; we opted for the drive through. Hmm do you know that they have to actually cook some things so they sent us to the front to wait. It is during this "waiting" that my children witness their first "corner girl" Yep, the one with the shorts and the "Frazzle Rock" ponytail hair do. We saw the exchange of street corner medication go down, explained the use of a flask;we heard the phone call, and watched the sign language shot at passing cars. Quietest moment we had experienced all day. Both kids were in shock. Best part was when Kauy asked, "Why did that young girl get in the fancy car with the old man? He didn't look like her dad." Of course Hysti tried to help, but the answer about her helping serve dinner cracked me up. Hello, she WAS dinner. So.....we learn lesson #365 for the year.
On to this weekend in Lubbock. After Makaley had finished her competition at the Sunset Bible Bowl, we chose to go eat at Spanky's. They have the BEST Cheese sticks, and fried zucchini and it is this two story little joint that is always busy! After a delicious fried dinner, we headed to the loop to get out of town. Of course, we hit a detour and ended up passing a local bar. (Well, we didn't know that at the time. ) This car just started whipping out backwards into our lane. Brakes go on. We slam forward; other car head out...and we see a body rolling on the pavement to get out of the way of the car's tires. The body jumps up shouting and begins throwing rocks at the car. Once again....quietest moment in the day. AND Hysti gives her lesson about "the problems that crept into our lives when alcohol was allowed so freely in our cities". Hmmm... Lesson #400 plus for the year.
I laugh....both incidents occurred while on a trip for Bible Bowl. Both trips allowed me to teach life lessons in a unique way. May I say that I think my kids are very visual learners! Both trips were in Hysti's car WITH Aunt Traci driving!!!!!
I laugh even harder now as I remember Kauy sitting at the restaurant and the following scene takes place:
K: "KK, can I have a piece of your toast?"
M: "Sure, Kauy"
Kauy takes one bite. Standing, he holds the piece of toast high in the air by the bottom corner (you know how they cut Texas Toast in half from corner to corner..like a triangle?)
K: " And so, a toast to our Aunt Traci!" "Cheers!" I died laughing. What a precious play on words.
That pretty much covers both trips with Aunt Traci. I love my life so I will stick with it! And can't wait to be "On the Road Again" with Aunt Traci.
Cheers to you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am going to have to be invited on these road trips! I am missing so much! I guess you were holding this last story for conversation at Mother's day lunch this weekend? I can't wait!
good night nurse! hehehehe i'm laughing so hard right now.
i wonder what the heck you and i would have come up with to tell the kids had this happened when you and i went out of town with them!?!
Post a Comment