Thursday, November 22, 2007

Recuperating Part Two....and Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving to you...each of you. I know that bloggers all around are writing about the things they are thankful for today. Me too! It goes without saying that I am thankful for my family and friends. You know, they are the ones that stick by you when you are up, down, stupid, sick, on hormones, not on hormones, rejoice with you over silly things, and let you cry over the silly things. They love you as you are. Thanks family and friends!
I am thankful for the 6 weeks my doctor has required me to take off. Here are some of the reasons why.

* I have been able to spend time with my mom and dad. Time that I would not have had otherwise. Time to watch them during the day go about their day to day piddling and work. Going about their love and care for the other. I even have seen a different side of my dad. Too fun!

* I have been able to be mom more than ever. I have been able to get up in the morning and crawl into the bed with them and just wake up laughing. I have loved taking the kids to school. Taking lunch to them, visiting with the teachers, meeting the kids at my parents, teaching Kauy to make muffins, and Makaley to cook the casserole for Thanksgiving.

* I have been blessed to go to Ladies Bible Class at church (one time, but a dear lady taught it).

* I was blessed with an the invitation to attend a "tea/coffee" with my mom at the home of the woman who taught me to be a lady. Yes, I can be a refined lady when I want to! Mrs. Asbury taught me to cook in dutch ovens in her fireplace. She taught me to set a table, be polite, keep my mouth shut at the right time. She taught me to be a lady. At the tea/coffee, I was able to visit with her daughter, Elizabeth, who is a dear friend. Love her! BUT BEST of all...I was able to visit with Gordon (the husband/father). Even in his declined health, he was ornery to me. He made me laugh and smile. And to think...I went in there to bless him. What a day.

*I have developed a greater love for the teachers on the 6th grade team at Clack who have taken on my job as well as theirs. I promise you...I have not had a thing to worry about. Even with subs coming and going, they took it upon themselves to "get her done".

* I have had time to think of Suzanne Starr who kept me from quiting the teaching field my first year. Twenty-seven years later, I am not only teaching my favorite level(although they make me crazy), I will also be teaching a class at McMurry University! After my interview, I wanted to call her and tell her. Maybe I will.

* I have thought of my great-grandmother who has gone on to be my guardian angel. She taught me many things ....raw cookie dough is good(we have eaten some in the last few weeks), dominoes can teach math, wetting your pants is NOT the worst thing in the world (I have sneezed and coughed with uncrossed legs!!), some things remain secrets the rest of your life, and most of all how to be a good, tough, woman who loves others.

* I am thankful for my other mom Becky, now another of my guardian angels. She was there when I couldn't deal with things as a teenager, and she was there years later when I had to deal with loosing Kelly. I miss her. I have so many things that I need to ask her right now. Things that only she and I could talk about, things she had experienced, and things that I just need to tell her. Suzie does good with the listening and understanding, but she just ain't Becky! I have tried to find another Becky....not possible. My daughter needs a Becky sometimes, but they are hard to find.

* I am thankful for...oh so thankful...for Kelly. Tomorrow would have been our 16th anniversary. You know, it is "Black Friday" and I will be up ready to go for at least a couple of hours then home to bed. AND...he would have said something like, "that is silly, but go ahead and be sure to let me know when you leave." I can not tell you what Kelly did for my life. It's funny....I just wanted to introduce him to my sister, and lead him to Christ. I wanted to help rescue him and he turned around and rescued me. We were ham and eggs, black and white, up and down. (you know, those word pairs that just automatically go together). That was us. Thanks honey for 9 wonderful years, and 2 precious children.

Finally during this recuperation time, I have been able to read, read, read and play the piano (with Makaley). During this time, I have found some renewal! Of course I get renewed and then have to rest. I also have discovered that I do have great health, and get quickly irritated when I need to do something but can't yet! I didn't realize how much I do on a daily basis that I take for gratitude.

So.......Now that I am a "hyster-sister" (that what someone called me at church) I guess I can be thankful that instead of spending $4.00 a month on "paper goods" I can now spend that $4.00 a month on Starbucks! Well, for just a couple of more years. Makaley is growing up quickly.

Have a great Thanksgiving. Enjoy the family. This is my FAVORITE day of the year!!! No rush, no worry....eat, laugh, love, eat again, and do "family"! Love you guys.

1 comment:

Lolosblog said...

I'm not quite sure what a "hyster-sister" is and don't know if I want to know or even be one! But I do know even though you were off for 6 weeks for a reason you would rather not have been, as usual, you have made the best of it! The time you have spent with your children will always be so very special and you are so lucky that you got to do it at such a special time of the year, even if you wer out of it for part of the time.

Enjoyed the shopping and snowball fights yesterday! Can't wait until next year to do it again!

Love you!