Okay, it must be God telling me it IS time to go back to work. It was a sign in the form of cooking that has my attention. Let me explain. And remember...the scene I am about to describe is "my life"..not yours...or is it?
I feel like I need to go to a confessional. I have harbored some things in my garage so that my dad would not sky rocket off. I can say this because he doesn't read my blog! You see, my family is filled with people that save stuff because "we might need it again". I have a closet full of clothes because today I might be a size 10...tomorrow a 12...I might have surgery and need something that doesn't touch me, just covers my body...or (big OR) I might loose that 16 pounds and could wear all these 8's again. I once wore a six, and you know....even though that was in the 5th grade, I might need those again for Halloween, OR they might come in style again, I would be skinny and could be set for the season! My mother is the same. If it is buy one get one...let's get 4. It could be anything, but we might need it again. My grandmother...well, "we didn't have much. Save that, we might need it".
My dad........only tools, trains, sweater vests and information. Everything else clutters the house. Kelly was the same. After his grandmother's death, we found baggies with batteries from "the first watch given to me by????in????", locks of hair, just about every card, button, scrap of fabric, watch, phone numbers..everything. Tony...is different. He is like me. I even have to keep him from dumpsters! He would rather find it, repair it, and keep it than buy it on eBay! So.....I have been keeping my mom's Christmas gifts for her class in my garage for about 2 months. Today (thank you Lord! seriously) My mom told my dad that he needed to come get 2 boxes out of my garage, and I was going to help her wrap them this week.
Dad, being the kind of guy who doesn't put things off (neither Traci or myself inherited that trait) called immediately after mom left for Ladies Bible Class. I opened the garage for him and pointed to the boxes. It was at that moment I realized that the freezer door was open. Now, it is not a big freezer, but it is holding 4 steaks, a roast, fajita chicken meet,hash browns(all recently purchased through Angel food ministries) some chicken meatballs (the kids didn't like), 12 ground hamburger patties (at least 2 years old that we MIGHT need if we were starving and I had only meat and seasoning), 2 microwave meals, 3 year old wienies and all important...a tub of chocolate chip cookie dough (part of the food pyramid). Oh, and there was quite a bit of ice! You ask, how did this happen since you are not cooking lately? Well, Makaley and I got a hankering for cookies(since they are on our diet). She wanted to cook something, and that was the easy solution to both. So.......I will not blame my daughter for the freezer being left open. I blame the cookies.
So, because of my non-dieting ways, I now have to cook a roast one night, fajitas one night and steaks another (all of which are still very cold). Guess I better go to the store for the vegetables because we don't have any of those in the freezer, cabinet or fridge.
As for harboring and keeping things. I am thankful that I was able to harbor these two boxes of "gifts";thankful it has been very cold since Sunday night, and thankful that my dad is a very disciplined prompt kind of guy. Otherwise, I would be mopping the garage while I am cooking the food. Sometimes it does pay off to keep things......"because we might need it later".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Troy's granddad died the summer before we got married in the fall. He had been pretty deep in Alzheimer's. Grandmother AGONIZED over everything in the barn that she just KNEW that he had kept for some special reason. She couldn't realize that he had junk in there he never knew he bought or kept! My theory is: toss it or after you go someone has to figure out why in heaven's name you had it in the first place. Poor Makaley. Kauy will just haul it all to the dumpster.
I share Sarah's theory... I'm a big tosser! My parents are both that way too though. I think it comes from the fact that both of my grandpa's keep/kept everything around. We often joke about the surprises to be found in the sheds!
You neglected to mention that the only reason your/our grandmother still lives in that big ol' house is because we have so many *treasures* stored over there that we might need some day! I found several of our 4-H outfits from the '70s the other day. I am sure Makaley and Mattie May will look absolutely adorable in those one day!
Post a Comment