Thursday, January 17, 2008

A First for Me!

I have moved up in my education. I skipped a step though....High School. I taught a 4th grade class for 10 years. I have taught the 6th grade(middle school) for 17 years and as of Tuesday night.........I have now taught a college class. Yep, that is me, Ms. Ostlien, adjunct professor at McMurry University.
So the questions have rolled in. How did it go? What was it like? How were the students? How many do you have enrolled? No one asked....Were you nervous? Did you have lesson plans? Do you have books?
Now, to answer those questions. What is the difference in a Kindergartner, a 6th grader, a 9th grader and a college student? Answer: The number of candles on their birthday cake. That is it. Now, that is not a slam to anyone, but that is just the truth. They are all beginning a new section of life. Each at their own level. And although this class is for sophomores and up, they are just now figuring some things out. College students have more hormones, testosterone, more facial hair and less makeup, but..........
How did it go? It went for about 2 1/2 hours. I was surprised that I had to take one of my "little blue pills" because I was nervous. Hello.......this is what I do for a living. These students put their underwear(well if they don't go commando) on just like I do. One leg at a time. I don't think any of them take a running start and leap both legs into the "undies" scoring a 10 on any day of the week. But..I was nervous. It was when I found them standing outside the door looking at the room number and remembering that "staff" probably meant someone new, that I realized they were nervous also.
There were about 14 students present but about 7 more enrolled. They cover many ages. My surprise was the substitute who had been in the class next door to me all day walked in. We laughed even more when he said he passed the big 46 and has 5 children ages 23 to 4 years. Wow, I felt some better. I have some from every walk of life. Single, newly married, married with small children; mostly women, but 5 guys. Some smile, some don't...thank goodness no one slept.
And what did we do? Well, I changed my lessons plans as I was teaching...just like I do daily. (Told you they were like my 6th graders) I was going to teach a book that I was not certain about, and after walking into the building I felt called to do an activity with a short story that my students read. The students did a great job. They even grumbled like my 6th graders do when I give this "creative" assignment. They cheered when I said we are going to use crayons.
As for me, the new teacher, well,....I probably talked too much, gave a few pages of notes, talked too quickly, hurried through the lesson, and who knows what else. For the most part, no one talked much and a few times they were just sitting there staring at me (like my 6th graders). Maybe brownies or popcorn will warm them up.
The reason they WILL come back....Was I a great teacher? Was I well prepared? Was I entertaining? Nope...I let them out before 9PM. I was tired!

3 comments:

Biddy said...

one leg at a time? ohhhhhhh! no wonder i keep falling over

Lolosblog said...

Well, congratulation's Prof. O! (hehe). Just think, next week you won't be nervous at all. Isn't it interesting all the people that are going to college these days? Not just very young adults anymore!

Your great and I am sure you will soon be the favorite professor on campus!!!!!

Jessica said...

Congrats! i'm glad it went well! Maybe I'll come visit! heehee! Especially if you are bringing brownies!