Come on…admit it. You too have those moments where you wonder “No way. I didn’t see or hear that!” If you are over the age of 6 months, you are have probably stood there with your mouth wide open. Love those moments. Don’t you!!
This morning was one of those moments. I could see me with the title “You are becoming your mother” written across my forehead. My daughter and I were driving to school (son was already dropped of at school) and we are sitting and enjoying the quiet. (If you have ever been in the car with my son, you understand the peace and quiet of the car motor and a radio) As we cruise through the school zone, I pick up on a commercial. I wasn’t sure that it was a real commercial, and if it was, I wasn’t sure I was hearing things correctly. At this point, my mom would have turned off the radio which would lead to “Why did you do that?” and then a long explanation. But unlike mom, I keep listening. I wish I could tell you everything that was said during the commercial, but I was in shock…more so when they brought up the word Trojan. Then they talked about the joys…and delight and “almost like not wearing one” and music that was sexy and then like rockets going off and then…well, my mouth is on the steering wheel. Of course, the daughter says “Mom, what is the matter?” I go right ahead and take the bull by the horns. And the discussion ends with:
Mom: “That was an ad for condoms.”
Quiet and questioning looks from daughter
Mom: “Do you know what a condom is?”
Quiet and a shaking of the head with a positive motion.
Daughter: “Like panties and bras or do you mean like ketchup and mustard on a hot dog.”
Quiet and suppressed laughter from mom. (the devious side of me wanted to run with that whole statement….the good mommy side won.)
Mom: “No, those are condiments. Condoms, the kind a young man puts on his p**** (yes I used appropriate terms) to protect a girl from getting pregnant. Of course, they can have holes and you could still get pregnant. They can come off without warning and you can get pregnant. They are not reliable. Staying away from sex before marriage is the only safe way.” I could have turned the radio off. Instead, I found one more way to enjoy the trip to school along the same road, past the same houses, and getting my point in one more time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
All I can say is start listening to Air 1! wonderful music and "safe" for all ears!
Post a Comment