Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If He planted me then I must bloom

Life is interesting. I probably say that a zillion times a day and usually I mean it!!! The past two weeks have been no exception. And truly I don't really know where to start. I had my week planned. Going to volleyball games, getting a retainer on my bottom teeth (what was I thinking?), feeding pigs, buying groceries (we are out of lunch meat) , paying someone else to clean the house, and just sitting at work getting paperwork done. But you see, I didn't figure in God's set of plans for me. Plans that I forget He has for me. Plans for me to prosper (not always financially) in the location He has planted me. And this week.....the plans He made were not ones I really wanted to be in, but found that it was after all a blessing to be there. Funny how He does that. I think I once blogged about the fact that you should never tell God your plans.
I reminded a friend of mine just this past weekend that I really wasn't thinking about being one of the counselors in our district. I told her the story of the sermon about taking the leap that God wants you to take. Trust....and I did. And so....here I am in the second year of this job; loving it, yet thinking how cool it would be to do the reading class that will begin next year. Could I please do both? God's reply was a student sobbing hysterically at my office door. I took her into my office, shut the door, and turned to ask the counselor's question, "What is happening that has you so upset?" But, before I can do that she says, "My granddad died this weekend." I am thinking....granddad....70 plus years old...has been ill for some time. Only I discover that her grandfather is a year older than I am. She didn't get to see her grandad much even though he lived in town, but when she did see him, it was way fun. And then, she begins to tell me about the accident. My heart begins to hurt as I very quickly realize that her grandfather was someone I had been grieving for over the weekend. I don't know protocol, but I don't think that matters deep inside. You see, her grandfather was my "main squeeze" in high school. I didn't tell her that in those words. I put a smile on my face and said, "I loved your grandfather. My family loved your grandfather, and I can name a bunch of others who loved your grandfather." I told her about us passing notes in Spanish class. About the night of the band banquet...the purple dress mom and I made, and he showed up with long hair after promising to get a haircut. My mom would not let allow me to go in a beautiful dress with a guy who couldn't see the dress for his long hair........solution....she cut his hair and we left for the banquet. I told her about the band trips and him being first chair in the percussion section. I told her stories about his job, our nicknames, and our friendship even after we graduated. The tears stopped, a smile returned, and for me.....I felt the roots grow deeper in the ground where God had planted me! I am where I am supposed to be. What an honor to be in this place at this time. I am glad that I was able to honor my friend from school by bringing a smile to his granddaughter's face. How cool is it that I have been at this desk almost 2 years, and God showed me in His time how important this job would be .....for a teenager.....for a 50 year old counselor. My heart is sad for the loss, but glad for the happiness found in some stories that only I could have told.
I am blooming....in October !

1 comment:

Traci said...

great blog sis!
Love you,
Traci Lyn