I know as a child, teenager, young adult and even now, I probably have tortured my mom in many ways. Bless her heart I am certain that she put(s) up with a lot and wondered many times "When will she ever..........?" It is not that I set out to drive my mom crazy, I just did it. I didn't clean my room much, and I put piles of clothes on the floor for a reason (dirty, clean, loosing weight to wear, don't like etc.), and I could walk through my terribly cluttered room with my eyes closed without falling! I DID not ask that guy to give me a hickey on the band bus!! Most definitely I never set out to stain a carpet, ruin a table, break the candy dish, or kill the canary. It just happened.
This afternoon I was combing out the MASSIVE tangles in Makaley's hair after an afternoon at the pool. As she was wincing and crying with every move of the comb, I remembered my mom combing my hair..............I would wince, cry and think: "just cut it...no, don't cut it". I remember mom saying, "We can get it cut right now!". (of course she said it just like I did today, with gritted teeth and a fake smile)
Once again I am reminded who I am........... A mom who is becoming more and more like her mom. "When will Makaley ever......?" "What was Kauy thinking?" "One of these days...." You know what I mean, we become who we hang with. I hung around my mom because..........I had to. She and Dad would take us captive on LONG trips with NO TV or radio.....just their commentaries. (Mom, we loved those trees! And the pigs....and that lake!) She is mom. AND I love her. She was sometimes the coolest mom in the world, and sometimes I wondered if Suzie would like to live in the country while I lived in town. But, I am my mom's girl!!! You know the saying....."The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree." Oh mercy that is me! If I drop a leaf on a day with no wind, it lands next to her trunk. The difference? Her trunk is more stable than mine. Ask someone at church. I love to move! Now I worry about Makaley and Kauy. Will they fall close to the tree? Will they yell at the computer when it takes too long? Will they mumble under their breath when they are angry (not bad words mind you, just grumble)? Or have they seen the more positive side of me? What side do they see the most? Which is impressed on them the most? I have prayed often that my kids will grow up to be like the tallest acorn in our family...although she was the shortest! My great-grandmother. And, I hope they will be like the next tree in the line..........my precious grandmother. BUT of course if they grow up to be like my mom, that is still just as wonderful. What do I want them to take from me? I want them to understand this is life. This is the life God has given to them. Take it and travel the course. Like Makaley's massive tangle...you gently work out any "messes" that come along, smooth things out, and hope that you don't get all tangled again too soon. I want my children to be proud of who they are, but not be afraid to change and start anew in the areas that need it. I want them to have a good legacy, and work to create their own legacy. I want my children to have good, strong roots. I pray they are strong enough to bend at the right time, but not break! (Go listen to the Tanya Tucker song about the tree in the back yard). I want them to plant acorns. They can even fall close to the tree, just don't plan on living with the older tree ALL of their life! And just to add to the fun of it all.....just because I am their mom..........for driving me crazy with the dirty rooms, the piles, the scar on the coffee table, the cut bed skirt, and the dress shirt with "Kauy" printed in blue across the back by a 4-year-old.............I hope they look at the mirror and see me in them but most of all I hope they see "The Father" in them.
We are all getting a hair cut this week. My goal.......................to avoid any massive tangles in the next few weeks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you are precious...
and both of your children grumble under their breath when they're mad hehehe
you need to start washing that childs hair with Dove Intense Moisture Therapy...leave the conditioner in for a few minutes before you rinse...works WONDERS! believe me...i know tangles!
I love that as your mind wanders from tangles to acorns falling from the tree to family legacy and back again, I can follow you! It's like we were twins separated at birth or something! :)
Great post!
Oh, to be able to write like you! But I do know how to add a picture to my blog! And yes I figured it out on my own.
Love ya' cuz!
Post a Comment