Saturday, August 11, 2007

Life in a jar!!!

We have a PET!!!! Okay Kauy has a pet and Makaley and I had nothing to do with it. This week, Kauy found a walking stick---- the insect variety---on the window of Aunt Traci's school in Clyde of America! Aunt Traci being the wonderful and fun aunt that she is, quickly dumped one of those "gift jars" of brownie mix (possibly 3 years old), poked holes in the lid, threw in some leaves, and proceeded to help Kauy, who could not reach said insect, scoop this wonderful find into the jar. I do think she did it without out squealing. Makaley and I went on with work in hand. Other than a dead cricket, some fishing worms, a mouse (the old one from my computer complete with hand drawn tail, ears, and whiskers and lives in the bug house), two horses that live somewhere else, and Makaley's dog that lives with Mom and Dad this is his FIRST official pet. He studied "Stick" for quite a time. Just watching him move, and reporting every thing that bug did. When it came time to leave, he calmly asked Traci to "pet sit" Stick since he did not want him to cook in the car while we went swimming. She immediately checked to be sure that Stick could NOT crawl out of the holes in the lid. Traci has got to learn to say NO to my kids!!!!

Once Stick finally made it to our house (riding in Aunt Traci's car), Kauy begin to sit and watch every move. Then as little boy's brains do, the "I wonder what would happen if........." button switched on. Where is this button located? Is there a switch somewhere that I can use to turn it off, or cause it to think "I wonder will mom do when........" No, he did not open the lid. He just proceeded to turn the jar every direction to see how Stick handled life in a "cement mixer" atmosphere. He rolled it, shook it, set it on the lid to let the leaves and twigs fall ON Stick, blew into the jar, and then got out a magnifying glass to see if he was still alive. Hmmmmmmmmm, do you think Stick enjoyed his free trip to Six Flags and never left home. When Kauy said I think he might be dead, I laughed. I am sure Stick was trying to decide which end was really his head. I had to get the magnifying glass to be sure he had eyes! However, my best laugh of the day was when Tony(trying to keep a straight face) sat down next to Kauy and said, "Kauy, how would you feel if someone scooped you into a jar, threw cheerios in there, then begin to shake the jar every which way, throwing your food all over you, and then slammed you onto the table? How would you like that life?" I laughed for awhile because the look on Kauy's face was very pensive. I could just see Kauy in a jar covered in cheerios whinning. I don't remember his reply because at that moment it hit me and I thought; Life has been like that for all of us at one time or another. We have all been minding our own business on the window screen of life, and some how we got scooped into a situation or a point in our life where we didn't want to be. Our lid was closed, there seems to be no way to get out, someone or something rolled and shook our world........cheerios and all. It may have been that the "shake up" was a good thing, or it may have been that is was not all that pleasant. AND, I hope no one had a magnifying glass to look at me after one of those experiences...good or bad. But like Stick.........three days later, we are still breathing and going on..........some fresh cheerios in hand. By the way, Stick is due to be released this afternoon. In my parents garden!!!! Now, won't he think he died and went to heaven....especially after the ride in a glass jar.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, if only I could end my "shaken to and fro in a glass jar moments" by ending up in Eden, a.k.a. Bill and Hymonda's garden. Usually by the time I figure out where I am and what happened I'm still in my same crummy glass jar, only surrounded by dirty dishes and laundry. Stick has the good life. Kind of like Kauy with an Aunt Traci

Biddy said...

Kooler will be jealous!

hehehe LOVE tony's analogy...

he's got such a way with words :-)

Anne said...

I'm with Sarah...and I am so looking forward to the day I am released from my jar into Heaven! I know it will make my shaky life with cheerios all worth it!