Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summer is not over!!! Just vacation.

"Turn out the lights. The party's over. They say that all good things must end." A great song to scoot to!!!!
Well, my summer has come to an end. I know; I know! Some of you have no pity for me in the fact that I have to return to my termite-free yet in need new shelves classroom tomorrow. I have work to do. Funny thing is....................not all good things must end. You see, I see my job as one that IS just GOOD. Good for me. Good for my kids. Good for your kids. Because I DO love to teach (even on the days with PMS, too little sleep, and 3 inches of water in the parking lot). I could have been a dentist..........I was in a dentist chair so much of my life that I could have done cleanings, fillings, root canals, and braces with my eyes closed. It's just that I would rather teach a bunch of hormone filled, tough acting, ready to meet the world 6th graders than look at teeth and bad breath. When these kids come in, they are all shiny and new. Ready to go. Scared to death, but with determination that they will survive.........at least the first day. The first day they come in so nervous. You can almost hear their hearts beating, and I know that I have control for at least one day. Later they come in with bad breath, bad body odor and odors that escape out of their body. That is fixed with a little spray can in the corner of the room, and the plug ins I have sitting around. Some days they come in with tangles in their hair, weird hair, no hair, low cut shirts, boobs hanging out, pants sagging, no belt, short shorts, or see through clothing. That is fixed with a few words and a run to the gym or office. They come with no pencils, no paper, too many pencils, 50 million highlighters, and way too much paper. Some times they come in with stories about the way things went at home the night before, the fact that the money for supplies had to pay bills, the dog was run over, someone yelled at them in the car, someone was ugly to them in the hall,or they have no food at home. That is fixed by??????????? It can't be fixed by me. But, I can put on the band aid for the day. Sometimes it is just giving a hug or listening. Listen...really listen, not sit and check roll, or type, but look them in the eye and listen. Some days all I can offer is to listen. And then............well, I usually do something silly like trip, call the wrong name, show them my new toenail polish/art, or find them a new pencil, but I try to find something that will make them smile. And you just thought that only a dentist can help your smile?
Enjoy your day tomorrow.......and the next and so on. I will be getting my "stuff" together. Then I will get a hair cut, new toenail art, my new outfit ready, and of course get my ears cleaned out.
A new party starts on the 27th! I think that is the date...............I will be there anyway!!!

3 comments:

Anne said...

I know God has you right where He wants you...smack dab in the middle of an odor-full classroom of His children!

I know you bless them more than any of us will ever know!

I am so thankful you are my friend :)

Biddy said...

you really are an awesome teacher...even when you're not in the classroom...

oh and my toenail art? totally rocks...but you would know that if you'd give a nigga a call

yes, i said that...now laugh

Holly said...

It's so great to hear a teacher love for "her kids." When we moms have to hand over our kids to school, it's such a relief that there are teachers like you.