Yes, two posts in one day which is not often for this old woman, but I wanted to keep this record on a day to day basis. At some point in Kauy's life, he will want to read this and sit back and either laugh, cry, thank God, or turn me in for unusual punishment by posting his "personals".
Day 2 was just as interesting........well, the staff thought so.
To begin with, I forgot to mention that Dr. Rob called around 11PM to tell us what they had seen on the MRI. I am so very blessed to know so many people. The guy who read the MRI is the one that had seen Kauy in church on Sunday and was concerned about the walk. So he has quickly read the MRI and called Rob to talk. The MRI showed a very bright spot on a bone in Kauy's hip. They still could not figure it out. The blood work was perfect in every way, but here was this infection. Dr. Cook as bone specialist came in to visit and gave me many scenarios. I didn't really like any of them, but none of them were life threatening so I was not falling apart. He announced no food till further notice, and a procedure to see what we were dealing with. I warned him of the MRI yesterday so he gave specifics. Kind of like this: Give the oral knockout medicine just before leaving the room for the surgery room. Then he wouldn't try to escape or threaten to mame anyone. Yelling "I hate you" must be a common thing in hospital.
So.....we spin our wheels waiting. Let me stop to say that is what many vacations are about. If you go to an amusement park you wait your turn to have the thrill of a life time. So...we are on course at this point.
They call and say let's go so the nurse, Michelle, brings the dreaded cherry stuff. He began with the "YOU are not," I am not" "Mom, I hate you, " And stiffening up so that he wouldn't have to bend in the middle. Let me say, that I stood back shut my mouth and let Michelle have her way. I don't think the rest of the family approved of the treatment, but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do. She jumped in his face not once, but twice. She wasn't taking it and threatened to swat his butt IF he yelled at me again.
We headed to the surgery room. Michelle...Me...Megan..and another Megan. Now remember what I said about a vacation at a park ? Once agaib we waited and waited...about an hour. Michelle then took her tone on the other nurses and attendants because she "did Not" want to have to deal with what she had heard about yesterday. BUT during the wait, 3 more friends from church appeared. Kerry Frazier was there to help with the aspiration, and Steve Carringan was going in and out to give me minute by minute updates. Both of these guys and Jenny Frazier are in our small group.
As the verset (sp) begin to work through the body, Kauy got tired but not ugly and finally just said, "Could you just give me the stuff to make me sleep? I am ready to just get this over." Yes, this from the child who fought with every ounce to NOT be put out. We were all in shock. The procedure took about 20 min. and during the procedure, they switched the IV and unknown to me they were switching our room to a double so I would have a place to sleep for the next week.
When he was ready to come from recovery, Makaley called to say that she was in the room and wanted to see me. Told her to wait just a bit and we would both be there. We were all excited. We got to our new room BUT the air conditioner was not working. Makaley had been enjoying our stash of candies and chips. Tim, Traci, Mom, Makaley 2 beds, 2 chairs, were already in the room, and now we were trying to add to it...a bed from surgery, a nurse from recovery and 2 of the regular nurses. Well, Makaley was just so ding dang happy to see us that she came running to me, looked at Kauy and promptly fainted. I wanted to yell....."anyone have a stiff drink, I need it!". Instead, I ran to the hall, yelled that I needed help and they all came running. Head of nursing showed up and took her vitals. Kauy is hollering.."KK are you okay" She is out with of course none other than dear Uncle Timmy administering love and affection. The recovery nurse says that she thinks she has had plenty of excitement and leaves. I tried to leave with her but was reminded that I am the mother of both of these children with blood pressure cuffs on, and I am not allowed to leave. What excitement.
As Makaley is pronounced okay, our lunch shows up and Kauy starts telling me how very hungry he is. So....I continue on our staycation tending the needs of the children....feeding them.
I am telling you, the nurses said they had been boared, but were now experiencing too much fun.
Around dinner time, Megan, the one who teaches the kids about the procedures, the Aunt Traci can play one mean Guitar Hero. She did Pat Benatar. Kauy was laughing so hard. Before he could play, he had to have a shower, and Michelle was the one elected to do the honors. A major difference from your average hotel room is that the towels are paper thin....I guess as not to hold germs. Now that he was through with the needles and "going to sleep" part, he was in a better mood.
The air was not much cooler so they brought fans. By about 4AM we were cooler. Hey, after a lot of activity, you need a nice cool rest.I needed a rest and a shower. Only problem....I had no shampoo. Anne my dear friend brought me everything you could imagine, but we forgot deodarant, shampoo, make-up, razors and toothbrush. Hello....I was still in the same clothes from Monday morning and had not has a shower or hair washing since Sunday morning. So..they sent soap, Anne ran to the store but we forgot to put down a comb. When I got out of the shower......after all were gone. There was nothing here to comb with so.....call me Ariel from Little Mermaid...I used a fork!!!! Just so you know incase you are ever caught without a comb and have a wet head of hair. Works fine!!!!!
I am certain that few of you have had vacations where you were "put out" had a different meaning that it did the last 2 days here. But once again our vacation is very much like others. We slept in a bed not our own., ate somewhere other than home, played in cold water (our bath/ your pool), got souvenirs (ours is two band aids with nice holes under them) and saw lots of people you didn't know. OH yeah....and we waited in line...again. And this time, there were some who cut in front of us. And we have spent lots of money just like we would on a vacation to a great resort! Hey, we do get room service. As Kauy said...."No shirts, No shoes, and I get lots of service."
We are doing great. He has quit saying "I want to go home." He has come to accept this is home for a few more days. Good people who are wrapped around his finger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just be warry of the room service. He may expect the same once you return home from your staycation.
I actually have had a few vacations like that. Bless. So very exciting. they need to video you for the 'Road Trip' series!
no joke. They could come to the hospital and get a glance at our accomidations. I would love to introduce the nurses....especially since one has been attending SH for a few months.
Post a Comment