Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 4 Bring on some entertainment

After visiting with one doctor, we got the day rolling. One of my friends brought Kauy this little pirate set. In it is one of those dart guns with the suction cup darts. He has been practicing shooting the people on TV which means when he gets the 3 shots in, mom has to chase the little darts. Yes, I know...I could hide the whole thing, but we are talking 7-years old, feeling sooo much better, and nothing but time on his hands. Shut the door and who will know. The gentleman who is over the nurses on this floor is here every day for most of the day. Last night he was here forever because from 6 - 10 then brought in over 8 children. Every room was full last night. So....Dan comes into the room and sees Kauy with this gun. He turns around and returns with red tape. Kauy's bed is directly across from the sink and mirror. Dan makes him a target with the red tape...IF Kauy hits it, the darts stick in the same area. If not they fall into the sink leaving mom fewer steps.....Well, except when he was loading the little thing, it went off, and a dart flew into the hall. Yes, I used the teachable moment.
After lunch, Megan came in and took Kauy for a scavenger hunt. He grabbed "leg" and Megan handed him a shopping cart to put the stuff in. She would read the clue to him, and he would have to figure it out then go ask a nurse, or someone else for that item. Anne, Natalie and Levi showed up and Natalie was quickly invited to join him. She also came back to the room to give him some instructions on how to take a pill properly. She will make him a great wife. Since he loves Anne, we are good to go. Did I tell you that Mon. night as he was falling asleep; he was very still, and almost out when he just waved at Anne. He then snapped his fingers to be sure she saw him and waved again. She now when she sends the "night Night" text, I send back "wave, wave".
They are redecorating the "procedure" room. That is the room they take kids to in order to put in IV's , caths or whatever so that their room is a safe haven and not part of the torture chamber. They are redecorating with Dr. Zeus. Megan brought Kauy a ceiling tile and some paints. She asked him to paint the first ceiling tile for the room. He did a great job. Wow!!! And of course, I did not have the camera, but will take pictures during the "hanging of the tile" ceremony! He was all curled up on the floor just painting away...making a mess...and no one cared. Hey, it was their idea not mine so it is their mess to clean not mine. Ha Ha. As a thank you, they gave him this adorable Dr. Zeus which will dance and talk when you clap your hands. I am thinking that he will look great in my red/black/white office. Kauy thinks differently, sees it as a souvenir. Hmmm he painted, but I am paying for this vacation.
Before Megan left, she returned the Wii to the room. Kauy and I played every thing except Guitar Hero....why will he not play that with me? He tells everyone else to play it but me. Guess I might embarrass him. My thought.......If Aunt Traci didn't already embarrass him, then I sure couldn't. Hey, I am the one that has to bring the "can" every time he needs to pee. Yes, he does tell me if I am holding it wrong, or holding it too high.
Around 6:15, Brandi, Frank, Katie, and my 92 year old grandmother come into the room. I know she needed to see her "little man" because she would not hike up 8 steps and walk a long hall for just anyone. Kauy got her seated, then joined her in the chair. I look over after a few minutes and find that he has given Matt one of the Wii remotes and they are playing some game. The nurse is in the door laughing. Kauy kept telling Matt to fling her arm. She was too funny. Yep, I had the camera at that point!! My friend Anne will help me get some pictures on here before I retire from teaching........I hope.
All in all, it was a great day. No needlles. WE got showers. Makaley came to visit with no mishaps. We had a little down time. We stayed alone for the night. No one in the room but us chickens, and we are once again the only ones in this end of the children's wing.
We have had many visitors, many calls, and we will be able to get home using no gas. Just tie all these balloons onto the car and there you go.

1 comment:

Christye said...

So, uh like what did the Dr. say about the procedure done the other day in the surgery type room? You seemed to have forgotten to mention that one little tidbit of information that those of us thousands of miles away are checking for every single day!!!! "Just the facts, mam" And I'm telling you a vacation to the good ole Ozarks will be much more fun than this one - so come on down!! Still on my knees, girlfriend - keep us posted. Love Christye