And so, we move on with day 5.
Here is a question for you. How do you get a 7 year old out of bed in the morning? NO...an offer of donuts did not do it. No, my morning breath did not do it. You come in and quietly say, "I am here to do lab work this morning. Just one stick!" That boy was up and ready to fight for about 10 seconds. When he realized that he was trapped and had NO options, it was all over including the crying. Gave the blood, turned over and went back to sleep. As for the mom....I just got up and got dressed because I didn't want doctors finding me in my little shirt and sleeper pants. Good thing because Dr. C. (whom I have a hard time listening to because I am gawking) came in pretty early this morning. So here is Doctor's report #1:
* The cultures are not growing.....that is good, but would be kind of nice if they did.
* if it grew, they would know specifically know what we were dealing with.
* no growth is good because .....well, he said so.
*Now, here is his analogy of treating this. The way I understood it.
* It would be nice to use the sharp shooter gun. We could scope in and hit it dead on target.
In other words, we would know specifics and be 100% certain of what we are dealing with
* We are shooting with a 410 shot gun. We are using a medication that will hit these type
infections
* A 10 gauge is the next step if this didn't work. It would cover a broader group.
*If his sed rate test goes down, we know we have used the right one. He told me not to worry about it today if it was high because he stirred up things and it might go up before going down.
*He ended with, I am pretty confident that we are on the right track. He said he wouldn't say
100% because this whole thing has been "impressive" and "not exactly textbook"
* He shook my hand, called me by my name, told me to have a great weekend, and he would see
not need to see us again. Then of course..."I can't say never"
Doctor report #2: Dr. T
* Blood level for sed rate is down. That is good.
* Continue with liquid antibiotic until Sat. then let's try the pills.
* If IV comes out then you must take pills because he does not have down to restick.
* Pills are large.....can have liquid, but it will burn and make him puke. Nasty Sulphor taste.
* He is on call this weekend so if Kauy swallows pills on Sat. we can possibly go home on Sunday.
I am happy with what has been said and done. I feel like if it were something else they would have said. They also have assured that they would not let us go unless they felt good about it. We will be going in for several blood tests and flex tests.
I am happy with what has been said and done. I feel like if it were something else they would have said. They also have assured that they would not let us go unless they felt good about it. We will be going in for several blood tests and flex tests.
Today has been nice today. Very few visitors, and just us. He slept very late today also. He is getting grumpier and ready to exit. However, when one of the nurses said we might go home before Monday, he gave his imfamous "No". Then his reason was that it was on the charts not to go home till then AND...he has decided he likes it here. Yep. All vacations come to an end and reality kicks back in.
After lunch we practiced with tic tacs on how to swallow pills. We took a stroll, played the Wii some more and then we hung the tile in the proceedure room Not only the first in the room, but the first time in the history of this hospital that someone has painted a tile and had it hung in this place. Wow. He was excited.
Aunt Donna, Elizabeth and Judie came to read to him again today. He is not getting his nightly story because by bed time mom is tired of talking. While they were reading, Traci and I headed down to the gift shop to check out the bribe items in that spot. Bribe you ask? Yes, I will bribe and barter to get those pills down him. I also left mom and Traci here so I could go to dinner with Tony, Makaley and my grandmother. During this evening out, my sister called to let me know that we had lost "leg". Remember "leg"? When we returned, he was a wild man. I threatened to restick him and have him attached to "leg" if he didn't slow down.
Now I have 3 new problems.
#1....he is in a hospital with some very ill children, and he is running the floor like a wild man.
#2....he has no way of getting the antibiotic so he has to swallow pills.. TONIGHT at midnight.
Sarah his nurse came in to show him the pills (which are the right prescription, but bigger
size than expected) and after saying "NO", he got out of bed and found the tic tacs. "Well,
it will be okay since they are the size of 2 tic tacs in one and I can do it."
#3....he started limping again but no hip pain, and complaining that his wrist hurts (they just took out the IV). I also panic when he runs a fever of 99 which he is doing now.
Stay tuned to the next episode of "The Staycation/Day 6" where we will discover "Did he take the pills with no problem or did he just jump in?" oops..the nurse is here and he says "It's not midnight yet." Her response was ....."yep, but by the time we get these in you, it will be midnight."
1 comment:
Hey - just wanted to let you know that I stumbled on your blog. So sorry about your "staycation". Funny term, but not so funny circumstances. I hope they figure out what the infection is soon and you all get to go home. Hope to see you at church soon.
Post a Comment