Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kauy's vacation Day #1

Let me clear things up right now and lay down the law!!!! I can because this is MY post! I know this is post #98. Two more and I have to do my 100 things (I have been instructed) BUT...there are things more important than me going on here so when I get to "normal" again (my true friends are laughing) I will do the "100 things" for you. I have been working on them.
Now, down to business. I think that just recently I wrote this statement: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." He is not laughing, but he did change my plans.
Suitcases packed. Game bag packed. Snack bag packed. Car full of gas. New minutes on ONSTAR. Bills paid. Fish cared for. Keys given out to house care takers. Everything secured.
All for a vacation now turned into a staycation!
As you have read, Kauy has had some strange things. His limp has been worse, and on Sun. morning I had a Dr. at church watch him walk. Then he ran a temp of 100.6 for about 30 minutes, but he continued to have sword fights and run through the house and yard. Our Dr. was on call and had us come in early Monday for a blood workup before we left to check for infection. Mind you, I am packed, primed and ready to go. The X-rays from the week before showed nothing..... which was great. The prelims on blood work were perfect with all counts normal, so as we are visiting with Dr. Rob, and getting the okay to leave, God put in my head for me to have Kauy show Rob where this "hurty spot" was. When Rob touched it, Kauy screamed..not softly or calmly..and came up off the table. Rob looked at me and said, " We have a problem here. WE need to get into the hospital and do an MRI". At that point, Kauy ran from the room (traci followed him) and I sat there and just cried. Rob has been through it all with us and knows my fears. He just stood there and let me cry and said.."I understand and you will get through this." WE came to the hospital and were admitted and into a room. At some time in his life, Kauy will need to say "NO", and he will have had enough practice. He said NO and "You are not going to..." and "I don't want to..." a zillion times. At one point he even said he wanted his own bed at home. He usually says that he doesn't like his bed, but loves mine as long as I am in it.
My favorite (there were a few things I really liked) was when they were showing us the way they would put in the IV (while he was crying and saying NO). Megan said, we will put this flexible straw in your hand then.... she showed him and let him feel to which he said "Yep, but How do you think it will get into my hand? With a needle!" She was speechless and said "You are a smart guy" Kauy responded, "Yes, I am. Not an 'A' student, but I am smart anyway!). They just laughed.
I didn't loose it again until they bound him up in a sheet and held him down to get the IV in. The vein collapsed immediately so they bound him again and did the other ARM...not hand. Thank goodness for Uncle Timmy. They could hear Kauy screaming but the door was locked and all went into a panic. Like I would let them kill him!!! After that they gave him a sedative (by mouth) duh...too late...to get ready for the MRI. Things would have been fine, but they waited about 45 min. before getting him on the table, so by then he was becoming alert and that didn't go well. Let's see....he didn't like being bound at the ankles; he wanted to look around at all the lights, buttons, and things; he was listening to "old people's " music through the headphones; there was a lady speaking to him through the headphones, but he couldn't see her so he was wiggling around to find her...and he wanted to wave at me. So...we gave up and came back to the room. Rescheduled for 4pm and waited. Our preacher, Phil, was there when we got back. Kauy knew that he had come to pray over him. Kauy is propped up in the bed with one knee bent, and the other leg draped over the knee. Phil grabbed his shorts to lift the top leg and Kauy released quite a bit of gas. Phil smiled and Kauy said with a big grin, "That's what you get when you lift the bum leg of a sick man." When we got ready to go down again, they were ready with anesthesiologist. Good man, but not happy about a simple knock-out for MRI. Kauy turned to tell him he was NOT going to be put to sleep and then when the little bit of med. hit, he turned to start screaming at the DR. and trying to get out of the wheelchair. AT that point, the DR. hit the button, Kauy started swirling and grabbing for his head, and went down in mid sentence of telling the Dr. that he hated him.!!I lost it once again. At that moment, I hated him too. That is my baby thank you!!!!
Two hours later, he came out and upon being able to breathe on his own, begin finishing the sent. about how he hated the DR. for doing that and he needed to PEE. They took him everywhere but to pee and he was furious. Tried to get off the bed. I really wanted him just to pee in the guy's face. When they got to recovery and got him a "Pee bottle" he filled it 1/4 full. Bless his heart.
He ate some soup, crackers and juice and we spent night #1. My friend Anne stayed in the cramped little room with the dripping tub, and the clanging metal noise outside. We froze to death, and then got too hot. I slept curled on the foot of his bed, and she slept in what we are certain will be the style of bed in hell. So....get right church.
You are asking ....Where was Makaley during all of this? Some friends from church had to cancel their vacation too and were also having a staycation. Mom called them and they were rescue squad. God has been great to us during this not so great times.
Although the MRI nurses think my son is uncontrollable, I do want to brag on him. Sunday when I told our friend Steve Ridgell that I was worried about Kauy, Steve went over to pray with and over Kauy. Tony was with them After the prayer, Kauy looked at Steve and said, "Thanks, but you should really be praying for the Welches, not me." They are friends who in less than 2 weeks have the following: oldest son fell and has serious break in leg (out of commission until after Sept.), cousin broke arm the next day, Mandy's parents hit a bull on the way to Stamford rodeo and both taken to hospital. Her mom was flown to Ft. Worth. AND Pete, the dad was working the Stamford rodeo when his horse stumbled and fell on him, breaking his collar bone and 2 ribs. Mandy and I are trying out for the new TV Show "I survived being a mother with no vacation and spending thousands of dollars on a child full of energy with nowhere to go "
Stay posted.

2 comments:

Lolosblog said...

...but the memories you have of your 'staycation' will be just as memorable as if it were a vacay!

I am staying out of the way with the assurance you will call me when I am needed. I know you have enough visitors without me getting in the way. ;)

Sarah said...

Girl. Bless. i know you're thanking God for your dr. because I love him so much!

Keep getting better, Kauy!